• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inheritance Tax part of Settlement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forsythia View Post
    I wondered whether anyone was exploring or challenging that fact or has HMRC got us all over a barrel??
    We are convinced that HMRC's position on IHT is incorrect and we are and will be challenging it.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Something new I've seen in the past couple of months - hmrc are now arguing where the s86 trust was setup for the benefit of employees, and if the company is no longer in existence, then the "loans" effectively become property (rather than employee benefits) and the IHT charge crystallised at the point at which the company dissolved.

This means the IHT charge is no longer related to whether the loans are written off or not, and must be paid as part of settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by RickG View Post
        Something new I've seen in the past couple of months - hmrc are now arguing where the s86 trust was setup for the benefit of employees, and if the company is no longer in existence, then the "loans" effectively become property (rather than employee benefits) and the IHT charge crystallised at the point at which the company dissolved.

This means the IHT charge is no longer related to whether the loans are written off or not, and must be paid as part of settlement.

Any additional news come to light in this subject?

I ask as the dreaded HMRC settlement paperwork has just dropped and don't know whether to tick Yes/No to paying the claimed Inheritance Tax.

Comment

Originally posted by RickG View Post

How have you “seen” this?
          It would tally with my settlement letter that has increased iht monies owed since the last settlement letter a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Clairol View Post
            How have you “seen” this?
            It would tally with my settlement letter that has increased iht monies owed since the last settlement letter a year ago.
            I have had letters originally telling me that no IHT was due on the scheme then subsequent letters over the years telling me there is and then assorted letters and offers detailing numbers that vary by 15k.

I’ve trawled through years worth of posts on here for days and countless google searches trying to get a definitive answer but clarity, there is none.

It’s a hybrid of Alice in Wonderland and Kafka.

Comment

I also just received the latest brown envelope. I had signed the settlement offer last year and sent it back to them (had agreed the IHT + tax etc). Was waiting for their final acceptance letter (in the mean time the trustees released the loans.......HMRC dont know this) which never arrived - upon questioning I found out about the LC review and they were giving people the option to stall settlement pending outcome of review. In January they wrote telling us the outcome and saying they would present all options by end of July (this brown envelope) - they also said 'you will be able to settle on the SAME figures as previously agreed'. So this particular brown envelope.. the normal tax and interest part of the settlement is the same as agreed... but they have bumped they IHT up by 2.5k which I assume is the conitnued build up of the 0.25% per quarter..... surely they cant do that since they said the previously agreed settlement figures were fixed until we had a chance to consider this latest letter?
              Last edited by bubble99; 12 June 2020, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by bubble99 View Post
                I also just received the latest brown envelope. I had signed the settlement offer last year and sent it back to them (had agreed the IHT + tax etc). Was waiting for their final acceptance letter (in the mean time the trustees released the loans.......HMRC dont know this) which never arrived - upon questioning I found out about the LC review and they were giving people the option to stall settlement pending outcome of review. In January they wrote telling us the outcome and saying they would present all options by end of July (this brown envelope) - they also said 'you will be able to settle on the SAME figures as previously agreed'. So this particular brown envelope.. the normal tax and interest part of the settlement is the same as agreed... but they have bumped they IHT up by 2.5k which I assume is the conitnued build up of the 0.25% per quarter..... surely they cant do that since they said the previously agreed settlement figures were fixed until we had a chance to consider this latest letter?
                I suggest writing to your MP explaining the issue and ask them to raise with HMRC , I believe they are far more likely to take notice of such issues when you have your MP on side.

Comment

Can someone please explain how the inheritance tax part works.

So far I've understood that it is levied at 0.25 percent per quarter until the loans are written off. If I settle with IHT included then I have to have loans written off within 30 days (also heard 3 months). If I dont have the loans written off within the stipulated time then they would be recalculated and I could end up paying further IHT. There is also the 10 year aniversary charge, which Im not sure whether it applies in this instance or not. There is also the IHT thresholds, again I dont know whether this applies or not. Does anyone have a complete picture regarding IHT and how it works with regards to loan settlement?
                  Last edited by hudson; 16 June 2020, 16:09.

Comment

This is an aside and taken from ETCtax's submission to the Finance Bill evidence. It is not saying IHT will not be charged it is an argument as to why IHT shouldn't be charged. For others to comment on whether it is legally arguable.

"Inheritance Tax (‘IHT’) should not be payable on any settlement. Principally, seeking to tax
                    taxpayers on the basis that these loans are income, i.e. recharacterizing these loans as income
                    and then also seeking to recover IHT on the same amount, if the loan is written off, is
                    contradictory and unfair. This charge to IHT is based upon the ‘exit charge’, whereby IHT is
                    charged upon dispositions from certain settlements. However, Section 65 (5) (b) Inheritance
                    Tax Act 1984 expressly excludes an exit charge where a payment is made for the purposes of
                    income tax. Therefore, an IHT charge, where income tax is also payable is unjustifiable and
                    unfair. "

Full evidence submission here

https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../memo/FB28.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      Can someone please explain how the inheritance tax part works.

So far I've understood that it is levied at 0.25 percent per quarter until the loans are written off. If I settle with IHT included then I have to have loans written off within 30 days (also heard 3 months). If I dont have the loans written off within the stipulated time then they would be recalculated and I could end up paying further IHT. There is also the 10 year aniversary charge, which Im not sure whether it applies in this instance or not. There is also the IHT thresholds, again I dont know whether this applies or not. Does anyone have a complete picture regarding IHT and how it works with regards to loan settlement?
                      I'd really like to know the answers to all the questions posed here as well ! I used IQ - is the trust behind IQ subject to IHT...or what trusts do not fall under IHT charges.

Comment

Working...
                      X