• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reversing pension mitigation follow LC review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
    Yes you must keep the £50k gross in there, the reason being you are only allowed to unwind based on an over payment and not because you changed your mind (presumably, people would be at it all the time otherwise). So you'd get back a max of £56k (70*0.8) and the rest you'd get at retirement.

It might seem like a bit of a pain, but if you consider your total overall position following the changes, you're in a much better place and you had no way to predict these changes and if they hadn't happened the pension mitigation was a very wise decision.
    Unfortunately whilst the Loan Charge changes are welcome I still have several open tax years to fight so the unfortunately it's just the angle of HMRC's attack that's changed for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverskin View Post
      Thanks Tiger22, starstruck and CanPayButWouldRatherNot.

The main reason I'm asking is that I am still to file my business accounts for the 2018-19 tax year and therefore I have potential to amend the business return and therefore my income from the business for the 2018-19 tax year.

Because of the Loan Charge I had reduced all other income practically down to nil but now the Loan Charge won't hit me, my income is due to be nil and I won't be taking advantage of the nil and low rate income tax bands. Clearly however, given what's being said, whatever income I choose to now take from my business will need to bear in mind that the pension contribution will have to be at the same level.

Almost certainly a stupid question but presumably we're talking about gross amounts here? Following on from the previous example, if I take income at £50k then my gross pension contribution will be £50k, comprised of £40k contribution from me and £10k basic tax relief from the government. Correct?

Thanks in advance again.
      Correct on gross/net yes. But how can you amend your income for the 2018/19 year, it is not the accounts that matter, it's the actual payments that happened in the year that matter. The only scope I could see for change would be moving an amount between a director's loan and dividend or vice versa, I don't see how you can retrospectively change your salary.

Comment

Correct on gross/net yes. But how can you amend your income for the 2018/19 year, it is not the accounts that matter, it's the actual payments that happened in the year that matter. The only scope I could see for change would be moving an amount between a director's loan and dividend or vice versa, I don't see how you can retrospectively change your salary.
        No that's not correct although I'm waiting to hear the detail of what's permissible specifically.

Comment

On a separate note, you alluded to the timing of the withdrawal in relation to minimising investment losses and maximise any gains. Is it that any losses or gains are carried by the individual? Is there any interest payable on the tax relief received for the period invested?

Comment

On a separate note, you alluded to the timing of the withdrawal in relation to minimising investment losses and maximise any gains. Is it that any losses or gains are carried by the individual? Is there any interest payable on the tax relief received for the period invested?
            I mentioned because I purchased global trackers mid last year and they are 10% higher now. I’m locking in that gain before the new law comes in. Hence I’m saying the global markets are high right now. if you’re planning on taking this money back in the summer they might be much higher still but they may also be much less. How much risk do you want to take? You don’t want to lose the tax rebate through investment losses.

I’ve not found any reference to gov wanting interest on the tax rebate that was in your pot. other than if pension company doesn’t pay them within 90 days of you completing form. But I agree, it seems odd they will let you invest their money for 6 years!! That could be quite some investment gains. So perhaps I’m missing something here. HL never mentioned interest.
            Last edited by starstruck; 23 December 2019, 20:36.

Comment

I mentioned because I purchased global trackers mid last year and they are 10% higher now. I’m locking in that gain before the new law comes in. Hence I’m saying the global markets are high right now. if you’re planning on taking this money back in the summer they might be much higher still but they may also be much less. How much risk do you want to take? You don’t want to lose the tax rebate through investment losses.

I’ve not found any reference to gov wanting interest on the tax rebate that was in your pot. other than if pension company doesn’t pay them within 90 days of you completing form. But I agree, it seems odd they will let you invest their money for 6 years!! That could be quite some investment gains. So perhaps I’m missing something here. HL never mentioned interest.
              Thanks for the reply, yes it does seem odd doesn't it so perhaps there's more to it.
              Last edited by Silverskin; 23 December 2019, 21:37.

Comment

Yes you must keep the £50k gross in there, the reason being you are only allowed to unwind based on an over payment and not because you changed your mind (presumably, people would be at it all the time otherwise). So you'd get back a max of £56k (70*0.8) and the rest you'd get at retirement.

It might seem like a bit of a pain, but if you consider your total overall position following the changes, you're in a much better place and you had no way to predict these changes and if they hadn't happened the pension mitigation was a very wise decision.
                Sorry just one other clarification, so the £50k would be gross (i.e. include the 20% government tax contribution) and therefore I would need to withdraw funds to the level where the contribution I have personally made is £40k (i.e. 80% of the gross amount). Is this understanding correct?

To expand on the specifics, originally I was expecting to be able to make a £120k gross pension contribution, receiving 45% tax relief. Therefore I made an original net contribution of £96k (with £24k [20%] coming from government) and I was expecting to claim a further 25% tax relief (£30k) on my SATR.

Now that I am no longer facing the Loan Charge my income has now reduced to £50k and as we've previously discussed, the pension contribution I must make is on a par with this income, i.e. £50k gross (£40k net). So by my reckoning, having paid £96k net initially, and now being obliged to contribute £40k net, then I personally need to withdraw £56k (aside of the £14k refund the government would be entitled to).

Is my understanding correct?

Cheers

Comment

Sorry just one other clarification, so the £50k would be gross (i.e. include the 20% government tax contribution) and therefore I would need to withdraw funds to the level where the contribution I have personally made is £40k (i.e. 80% of the gross amount). Is this understanding correct?

To expand on the specifics, originally I was expecting to be able to make a £120k gross pension contribution, receiving 45% tax relief. Therefore I made an original net contribution of £96k (with £24k [20%] coming from government) and I was expecting to claim a further 25% tax relief (£30k) on my SATR.

Now that I am no longer facing the Loan Charge my income has now reduced to £50k and as we've previously discussed, the pension contribution I must make is on a par with this income, i.e. £50k gross (£40k net). So by my reckoning, having paid £96k net initially, and now being obliged to contribute £40k net, then I personally need to withdraw £56k (aside of the £14k refund the government would be entitled to).

Is my understanding correct?

Cheers
                  Yep. If you're income is now 50k then you need to leave 50k gross in the pension; which is 40k from your pocket. You've paid £96k from your pocket so you can get back £56k which you overpaid. Plus the gov will get back the tax relief it gave you on that £56k also; that won't stay in your pension. So you're pension will be left with £50k in it and you'll get back £56k cash. That's how I understand it.

Comment

Thanks, appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X