• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Schedule 36 notice from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule 36 notice from HMRC

Hi all
    Today I had the joy of 2 envelopes from HMRC, one telling me I’ll need to submit a Self Assessment and the other a Schedule 36 notice instructing me to provide documents relating to an umbrella company I used 2017/2018 but the request from HMRC asks for documents from 2019 when I was no longer contracting. Any clue what might be going on? I’m happy to provide what is asked for but if they have got the year wrong it will be a waste of time. The other complicating factor is that I have moved to Guernsey and a lot of my paperwork is in transit or storage...so will struggle to provide payslips etc

Originally posted by panders View Post
    Hi all
    Today I had the joy of 2 envelopes from HMRC, one telling me I’ll need to submit a Self Assessment and the other a Schedule 36 notice instructing me to provide documents relating to an umbrella company I used 2017/2018 but the request from HMRC asks for documents from 2019 when I was no longer contracting. Any clue what might be going on? I’m happy to provide what is asked for but if they have got the year wrong it will be a waste of time. The other complicating factor is that I have moved to Guernsey and a lot of my paperwork is in transit or storage...so will struggle to provide payslips etc
    A schedule 36 notice has teeth in the form of penalties for non compliance.

Go and get advice.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      A schedule 36 notice has teeth in the form of penalties for non compliance.

Go and get advice.
      Thanks Webberg, its a bit difficult as I am no longer in HMRC jurisdiction so not sure if the tax advisors here in Guernsey will be familiar with the HMRC situations, do you think they will? I intend to comply with what they have asked for in the notice ie payslips and bank statements for the period their written request refers to, but that will show nothing untoward as I was entirely PAYE during that period.

Comment

Originally posted by panders View Post
        Thanks Webberg, its a bit difficult as I am no longer in HMRC jurisdiction so not sure if the tax advisors here in Guernsey will be familiar with the HMRC situations, do you think they will? I intend to comply with what they have asked for in the notice ie payslips and bank statements for the period their written request refers to, but that will show nothing untoward as I was entirely PAYE during that period.
        YOu do not have to have an adviser int he same place as you. I would suggest a UK adviser.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
        X