• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan charge - HMRC update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received on of these as you have not agreed a settlement generic letters....Thing is i have never had or been entered into a loan scheme in my 5 years of contracting or had any correspondence from HMRC previously are they that incompetent?!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by takethebus View Post
      I just received on of these as you have not agreed a settlement generic letters....Thing is i have never had or been entered into a loan scheme in my 5 years of contracting or had any correspondence from HMRC previously are they that incompetent?!

Call them and ask. Everyone I know that has received the generic letter was using a loan scheme at some point in time. Your name is on the list if you got that letter. If you are sure you never used one best to get it cleared up and confirmed in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by takethebus View Post

Yes same. I called and asked, was advised that my name was noted against "SP Management" in a single year. Never had a loan, never been in any scheme. Was advised to send an email to clarify so have done just that, if I don't hear back I think I'll send a recorded letter to ensure proper comms chain can be demonstrated.

Comment

I think HMRC have a "naughty list".

Posting on this forum will get you on the list.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            I think HMRC have a "naughty list".

Posting on this forum will get you on the list.
            *checks how to close account*

For the year in question I had no employment and it's recent so have ready access to bank statements etc so easy for me to demonstrate if needed. Made my heart skip though when I started to read the letter, even though I know I never used a scheme!

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
              *checks how to close account*

For the year in question I had no employment and it's recent so have ready access to bank statements etc so easy for me to demonstrate if needed. Made my heart skip though when I started to read the letter, even though I know I never used a scheme!
              If you didn't ever operate through SP Management then it's fine and a mistake. Definitely send everything in writing by recorded delivery and get HMRC to confirm anything they say on the telephone in writing. If you did at any time operated through SP Management then you are on their loan scheme user list.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                If you didn't ever operate through SP Management then it's fine and a mistake. Definitely send everything in writing by recorded delivery and get HMRC to confirm anything they say on the telephone in writing. If you did at any time operated through SP Management then you are on their loan scheme user list.
                100% never, ever, operated through them (or anyone else), had a loan from them (or anyone else) or even heard the name SP Management until I opened the brown envelope and phoned the helpline number.

Think I'll draft the letter now!!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  Go and get advice if you are that stressed.

A few hundred pounds spent to assuage your stress is worth it.
                  I attempted to send a private message here.
                  Apologies to other folks for coming public on the forum on this, but as I am new, I do not know if you received it.

If so, please kindly reply privately,
                  If you haven't received it, then I am kindly requesting forum admins to enable private messaging for me.

Thanks, and apologies to all for the tangent in conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
                    Yes same. I called and asked, was advised that my name was noted against "SP Management" in a single year. Never had a loan, never been in any scheme. Was advised to send an email to clarify so have done just that, if I don't hear back I think I'll send a recorded letter to ensure proper comms chain can be demonstrated.
                    Well it turns out I have now received an email response from HMRC as to why I received a loan charge letter, they acknowledged it was sent to me in error and and the matter is now closed. I’m relieved as I knew I hadn’t been in any schemes but still causes anxiety even for the short time since I had the letter I can’t imagine what some of you are going through and have done for years

Comment

Working...
                    X