• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If a loan is a "loan" it cannot be taxable - true or false?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Invoking the 20-year limit is pretty serious, so I would be surprised if they would do that without giving any justification.
    I don't know the details as I haven't spoken directly to the person involved. However it concerned closed pre-2010 years and was after the SAM report.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
      I don't know the details as I haven't spoken directly to the person involved. However it concerned closed pre-2010 years and was after the SAM report.
      For 2009/10, they could use this if there has been a failure to disclose a notifiable scheme.
      CH54000 - Compliance Handbook - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

For 2008/9, and earlier, it would have to be something else.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        For 2009/10, they could use this if there has been a failure to disclose a notifiable scheme.
        CH54000 - Compliance Handbook - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

For 2008/9, and earlier, it would have to be something else.
        Probably earlier. Don't know the person well enough to ask for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
          Probably earlier. Don't know the person well enough to ask for more details.
          It wouldn't surprise me if HMRC tried it on, possibly with a few "guinea pigs". They wouldn't have much to lose and, if they could get the 20 years to stick, they could deploy this more widely. It wouldn't even matter to them if it took until say 2023 to cement this because they'd still be able to go back to 2003.

I'd be surprised, though, if they started issuing 20-year discos en masse, which would attract a lot of attention.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
          X