• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge Advice - confusing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan Charge Advice - confusing

Hi All

I have spoken to WTT as per plenty of peoples advice
    I have sent them all the documents etc i could find in regards to the umbrella company i was using at the time of the "remuneration loans"

i have just spoken with them again and they advised along the lines of

"as the umbrella did not operate the loans through a 3rd party/trust, and did it themselves, i shouldn't have to pay the loan charge, and i should contact said umbrella for further info"

the umbrella is now closed/gone and i cannot seem to find anyway to contact them

if anyone can help me clarify what WTT meant, and how to proceed next it would be greatly appreciated

(happy to try provide more info where i can)

Originally posted by Cheesus View Post
    Probably too much information
    I will be blunt here - this is an anonymous forum - don't ask people to do things as the people that are likely to offer to help may not be who they claim to be.

If you don't understand what WTT said go back and ask them until you understand - you shouldn't be trusting random people on line (including me).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesus View Post
      Hi All

I have spoken to WTT as per plenty of peoples advice
      I have sent them all the documents etc i could find in regards to the umbrella company i was using at the time of the "remuneration loans"

i have just spoken with them again and they advised along the lines of

"as the umbrella did not operate the loans through a 3rd party/trust, and did it themselves, i shouldn't have to pay the loan charge, and i should contact said umbrella for further info"

the umbrella is now closed/gone and i cannot seem to find anyway to contact them

if anyone can help me clarify what WTT meant, and how to proceed next it would be greatly appreciated

(happy to try provide more info where i can)
      I think it this needs proper tax advice. Since you invoked the WTT word I fully expect webberg will respond.

The legislation for the Loan Charge sought to target 3rd party/offshore trust type loans, not direct loans from an employer. So this arrangement may well slip through the legislative net, HMRC may also play fast and loose with definitions.

I would still suspect that there are tax consequences that have not been accounted for though.

As above, needs expert advice where they have the full set of info and expert tax knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I will be blunt here - this is an anonymous forum - don't ask people to do things as the people that are likely to offer to help may not be who they claim to be.

If you don't understand what WTT said go back and ask them until you understand - you shouldn't be trusting random people on line (including me).
        +1

Or join LCAG and use their forums which are not public.

There again, everyone should be joining LCAG anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
          The legislation for the Loan Charge sought to target 3rd party/offshore trust type loans, not direct loans from an employer. So this arrangement may well slip through the legislative net, HMRC may also play fast and loose with definitions.
          I think you can count on that.

Also, as webberg has said, it may be far from clear cut, especially if the employer subsequently transferred the loan to a trust or other entity.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

If you called us and have been told something you don't understand, then call us again.

Join LCAG by all means, but they are not a tax advisory group, rather a political lobbying group.

I see you have PM's me as well so perhaps that might be better.

Also, please - please - please - read the threads. the questions you have are all in there and have been answered before.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
            X