• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Heavies knocking at my door

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've yet to see the letter so am guessing a bit here.

If HMRC are looking at somebody for CRIMINAL offences, their usual MO is to do all their research and background preparation out of sight of the target and then to arrive, with police support, with a warrant to search and arrest.

To turn up and knock politely and then to go away is unheard of.

This may be a tactic employed by debt collectors perhaps? I read the various comments here about the solicitors appointed by Felicitas but I see no suggestion that they have ever employed such blatantly intimidatory tactics.

I do know that impersonating an HMRC officer is a criminal act (see cases in the past involving a gentleman who designed tax schemes and who had a "colourful" personal life). As such I cannot imagine a solicitor or debt collector using this sort of tactic.

So I'm a bit baffled to be honest.

If I can see the letter, that may answer come questions.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by bear1 View Post
      My accountant has just informed me that he has had an HMRC revenue officer on the phone that wants to meet with me personally - as a potential witness as opposed to a suspect. I'll be meeting them at his office.
      Perhaps (I hope) they are carrying out a criminal investigation of the scheme promoter.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I’d be skeptical. Her Majesties Customs and Revenues have incredible powers largely inherited from the Customs side. Unless the scheme is linked to large scale Tax evasion or Money Laundering I would doubt any contractor would have the heavies in. Even if it was they would be after scheme devisors rather than an unknowing contractor using the scheme. I would imagine if they want your evidence they would be rather nice about it.

HMRC are a lot of things but not stupid.
        Last edited by lowpaidworker; 27 February 2020, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          I've yet to see the letter so am guessing a bit here.

If HMRC are looking at somebody for CRIMINAL offences, their usual MO is to do all their research and background preparation out of sight of the target and then to arrive, with police support, with a warrant to search and arrest.

To turn up and knock politely and then to go away is unheard of.

This may be a tactic employed by debt collectors perhaps? I read the various comments here about the solicitors appointed by Felicitas but I see no suggestion that they have ever employed such blatantly intimidatory tactics.

I do know that impersonating an HMRC officer is a criminal act (see cases in the past involving a gentleman who designed tax schemes and who had a "colourful" personal life). As such I cannot imagine a solicitor or debt collector using this sort of tactic.

So I'm a bit baffled to be honest.

If I can see the letter, that may answer come questions.

Hi All

Yes, a lot has transpired since the visit. I know what it's about now. Not able to discuss it on here I'm afraid but just to be clear, it's not a scam, they were HMRC revenue officers and yes Webberg, they are not after me as such but after one of a number of third parties I have had dealings with during this rollercoaster ride from hell.

Thanks for all of your support, concern and interest.

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by bear1 View Post
            Hi All

Yes, a lot has transpired since the visit. I know what it's about now. Not able to discuss it on here I'm afraid but just to be clear, it's not a scam, they were HMRC revenue officers and yes Webberg, they are not after me as such but after one of a number of third parties I have had dealings with during this rollercoaster ride from hell.

Thanks for all of your support, concern and interest.

Bear
            Well, good luck with it all bear1. I hope you gain some satisfaction at the end of it.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

HMRC press release at 15:48 today.

5 people have been arrested for fraud connected with schemes to avoid the loan charge.

A sixth is attending interview voluntarily, under caution.

Connected?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

could be linked to this?

Five promoters arrested on suspicion of loan charge fraud | HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

"More than 100 HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) officers searched business premises in Birmingham and further addresses in Coventry, Worcestershire, Northumberland, Buckinghamshire and Northern Ireland. Officers seized computers, other digital devices, as well as business and personal records."

Comment

And just a note to anyone thinking about it.

Any speculation will be removed from this forum.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is this a first for HMRC?

Can they now check out IoM...(probably not)
                    Last edited by why; 27 February 2020, 16:54.

Comment

I just so want this to be any well-known scheme promoter getting it in the neck.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X