• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Heavies knocking at my door

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Heavies knocking at my door

Hi All

I'm assuming that this post hasn't been covered elsewhere and that these tactics are new from HMRC.

I today had a hand delivered letter delivered by HMRC officials. They knocked on my door but I never answered.

The letter states that I need to call HMRC as a matter of urgency. The letter states that it is pertaining to a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in relation to my [Trust] loan shares that fall under the guise of the Loan Charge Act.

Has anyone else received such a letter yet? Hope it's not just me although don't want to wish it on any of you!!

Thanks

Bear

Originally posted by bear1 View Post
    Hi All

I'm assuming that this post hasn't been covered elsewhere and that these tactics are new from HMRC.

I today had a hand delivered letter delivered by HMRC officials. They knocked on my door but I never answered.

The letter states that I need to call HMRC as a matter of urgency. The letter states that it is pertaining to a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in relation to my [Trust] loan shares that fall under the guise of the Loan Charge Act.

Has anyone else received such a letter yet? Hope it's not just me although don't want to wish it on any of you!!

Thanks

Bear
    Stop what you are doing and contact WTT or Etctax.

Immediately.

DO IT NOW.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

1) Those tactics aren't new but it means someone is taking a personal interest in you.

2) The important bit is that you cannot avoid this anymore. You need to speak to someone asap whether that is WTT or another tax firm and probably more than one of them.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you sure it's actually HMRC? The wording is bizarre and reads more like something you'd get in an email scam.
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 27 February 2020, 14:15.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          Are you sure it's actually HMRC? It reads more like something you'd get from an on-line scammer.
          What a scammer who would knock on your door and commit a major criminal offence to scare the OP?

I really, really, really don't think so..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi All

I today had a hand delivered letter delivered by HMRC officials. They knocked on my door but I never answered. Usually the only "officials" who will knock on your door will be from Debt Management who are looking for payment. It is almost unheard of for an HMRC officer to make a house call.

The letter states that I need to call HMRC as a matter of urgency. The letter states that it is pertaining to a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in relation to my [Trust] loan shares that fall under the guise of the Loan Charge Act. First, no such thing as the "Loan Charge Act". Second, if HMRC are investigating a criminal offence and suspect you of being part of it, the "knock" would have been made with some prejudice and they would not have politely left a letter. Third, what are "trust loan shares"?

Thanks

Bear
            You are unique as far as I know.

I'm undecided at this point whether this is a hoax or not.

I'm happy though to look at the letter - free of charge - and let you know my thoughts.

The only caveat I have is that if it is a hoax then I will report back here.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post

I'm happy though to look at the letter - free of charge - and let you know my thoughts.

Please do, it will also result in a permaban.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                What a scammer who would knock on your door and commit a major criminal offence to scare the OP?

I really, really, really don't think so..
                You're right but the wording is bizarre.

I've never heard of "loan shares", and I can't think what the criminal offence could be. And if it is alleging a criminal offence, shouldn't it say what that offence is?
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post

Hi

It's not a hoax. I don't have the letter to hand but that was my recollection of it. It wasn't the exact wording used but my abridged version as far as I could remember.

My accountant has just informed me that he has had an HMRC revenue officer on the phone that wants to meet with me personally - as a potential witness as opposed to a suspect. I'll be meeting them at his office.

I'm scared but my accountant has said not to worry as he doesn't think it's as bad as it reads.

Thank you all for bringing some light. I'll keep you informed.

Comment

That's why I said to get someone competent to look at it.

A scanned email and a quick phone call might make it clear if it is a scam or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X