• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Tis the season to discover (that HMRC think you owe them money)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickLeeson2 View Post
    LOL, do you know why/ how accountants make money?

If we all understood accountancy practices we would not ask questions. I will re-read to the full post for the one answer.

Are you known for anger management issues?
    The point being HMRC can ride roughshod over legislation if they want and, it's down to the tax payer to prove HMRC acted dishonestly \ incorrectly \ illegally, call it what you want. It will cost you money to defend your position as well and even then, HMRC will drag you through as many courts as they want.

They have a taxpayer funded money tree. You?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      The point being HMRC can ride roughshod over legislation if they want and, it's down to the tax payer to prove HMRC acted dishonestly \ incorrectly \ illegally, call it what you want. It will cost you money to defend your position as well and even then, HMRC will drag you through as many courts as they want.

They have a taxpayer funded money tree. You?
      From that they, I guess, they can reassess as often as they like.

Are you asking me a question ?

Comment

I was assessed for years 2013-2019 and paid the outstanding tax, can I now be reassessed on those years?
        If you formally settled then that would be the end of the matter.

Even if it wasn't a formal settlement, if you've paid in full I hardly think HMRC are going to re-open the matter when they've got tens of thousands of other fish to fry (ie. those who haven't paid).
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 9 March 2020, 11:10.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

From that they, I guess, they can reassess as often as they like.

Are you asking me a question ?
          LOL, no. It was rhetorical.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Sentence 2 of the original posts - emphasis added.

HMRC is able to access powers in TMA 1970 whereby if they have made a "discovery" (that tax has been under assessed) they can raise an assessment.

It's clear.

If HMRC consider that tax has been under assessed, they have powers to raise assessments.

If you have settled, the chance of under assessment is very low.

If you have had assessments, not appealed them and just paid, unless you have deliberately allowed a low ball assessment to stand, again a discovery assessment is a very low possibility.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              The "normal" discovery window is 4 years from the end of tax year. Is that correct?

So, they've got until 5 April 2020 to discover 2015/16?

If they go back more than 4 years (2014/15 or earlier) then they may be on even thiner ice?

Can anyone confirm that the 5th April 2020 is definitely the deadline for 2015/16 discoveries? I've literally just received one today dated 7th April 2020 for 2015/16. Not helpful that its taken nearly 2 months in the post to get to me but my first thoughts are around the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
                Can anyone confirm that the 5th April 2020 is definitely the deadline for 2015/16 discoveries? I've literally just received one today dated 7th April 2020 for 2015/16. Not helpful that its taken nearly 2 months in the post to get to me but my first thoughts are around the deadline.
                Firstly I am no expert but make sure you evidence you received this today. I think someone at HMRC has realised they missed the deadline and backdated the letter. That is really really not good. Please keep this as evidence. Its shocking.

Hopefully someone who is in the know will come along and reply properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
                  webberg confirmed it above. HMRC have 4 years from the end of the tax year.

If you received loans, it doesn't really help that much if the disco is invalid, because post-2010 loans are still caught by the LC.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    webberg confirmed it above. HMRC have 4 years from the end of the tax year.

If you received loans, it doesn't really help that much if the disco is invalid, because post-2010 loans are still caught by the LC.
                    Other than the year becomes Open rather than closed?

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                      Other than the year becomes Open rather than closed?
                      Yes, which I'd overlooked does make a difference if you're settling ie. interest -vs- no interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X