• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge group litigation lost at FTT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    HMRC issued APNS to all scheme users as far as I am aware.

Is this FTT then just to solidify that. I mean an APN is just a payment on account so the result if it was final is not going to bring additional revenue for HMRC.
    It was the Edge users who took the case to the FTT, not HMRC. If they'd won I presume the APNs would have fallen away and HMRC would have had to refund the advance payments.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

It almost feels like this TAA has become a bit like a scheme. (Backed by QC opinion, no doubt )

Starts off small.
      Then there's a bandwagon effect, with others copying it.
      Snowballs out of control.

Which usually ends with HMRC going all nuclear.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

TAA
        1. HMRC's (Tom Moore) counter-argument to TAA is that they claim to have the discretion to decide whether UK companies should have complied with the PAYE regs.
        2. In the case of schemes, they're deeming that the UK companies didn't have to comply, and therefore scheme users are not entitled to any tax credit.
        3. They're even giving a free PAYE pass to any UK intermediaries which were part of the scheme!
        4. The stakes are very high for HMRC now. They'll take this all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by More Lamb View Post
          1. HMRC's (Tom Moore) counter-argument to TAA is that they claim to have the discretion to decide whether UK companies should have complied with the PAYE regs.
          2. In the case of schemes, they're deeming that the UK companies didn't have to comply, and therefore scheme users are not entitled to any tax credit.
          3. They're even giving a free PAYE pass to any UK intermediaries which were part of the scheme!
          4. The stakes are very high for HMRC now. They'll take this all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.
          True but HMRC aren't the ones who need to find money to move to the next stage of appeal - the Edge Group members do...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            True but HMRC aren't the ones who need to find money to move to the next stage of appeal - the Edge Group members do...
            There is that, although supposedly it does get a bit cheaper because most of the ground work/prep will have been done for the FTT. They'll probably still need to budget a few hundred £k to take it all the way to the Supreme Court, which won't be too onerous if there are enough members to spread the cost.

Comment

TAA ... transfer assets aborad I assume ?

Not sure I get the finer point of the arguement here. Is this all going back on the Rangers case ?

Also stakes high.. does that mean HMRC going down one route that might limit other cases ?

Sorry its a mine field but I guess you need to understand some of the basic principals if your caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                TAA ... transfer assets aborad I assume ?

Not sure I get the finer point of the arguement here. Is this all going back on the Rangers case ?

Also stakes high.. does that mean HMRC going down one route that might limit other cases ?

Sorry its a mine field but I guess you need to understand some of the basic principals if your caught up.
                It means "The Agency Argument" - I will leave it to others to explain it in more detail if anyone wants to as I'm sure I would get it wrong
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It means "The Agency Argument" - I will leave it to others to explain it in more detail if anyone wants to as I'm sure I would get it wrong
                  thanks.

Comment

Just for information.

HMRC's ToAA argument, already demolished in FTT cases has just suffered another blow in a case called Fisher.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

This is how I understand it but I may have got it wrong.

If an agency supplies a worker, and there is any supervision, direction or control, then the engagement is covered by the "agency legislation" and the agency must treat the worker as an employee (PAYE).

The agency legislation doesn't apply if the worker is provided to the agency by a Ltd Co. If the Ltd Co is a PSC then the separate IR35 legislation kicks in instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X