• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge group litigation lost at FTT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edge group litigation lost at FTT

Heard from a former colleague that Edge lost their appeal at the FTT.

Apparently, their main argument was that, yes, the loans were remuneration but that UK agencies should have paid the tax & nics through PAYE.

That's all the info I have.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Heard from a former colleague that Edge lost their appeal at the FTT.

Apparently, their main argument was that, yes, the loans were remuneration but that UK agencies should have paid the tax & nics through PAYE.

That's all the info I have.
    So the agencies should pay now?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      So the agencies should pay now?
      No, it appears they lost the argument that the agencies should pay. I'm guessing this means the users are liable.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

We're still waiting for the full decision to be published.

As with all such schemes, there are layers of complications and to reduce the win/loss to a simple statement will leave out some elements.

The agency argument was tested in more detail in other cases where we do not yet have the decision.

I suspect that the argument may well be subject to factual history here.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

No, it appears they lost the argument that the agencies should pay. I'm guessing this means the users are liable.
          So the Agency argument (for that is what I think it was called on here) was rejected in this case..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Interesting. Edge ceased to exist and became Redstone aroudn 2011. Anyone who used Edge pre 2011 used EBT's and were issued with APNs.

So are you saying this is Redstone (post 2011 roughly) or is this Edge up to 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              So the Agency argument (for that is what I think it was called on here) was rejected in this case..
              From what webberg said above, it sounds like more groups are jumping on this bandwagon.

That probably means HMRC will throw everything at it to stop it succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                Interesting. Edge ceased to exist and became Redstone aroudn 2011. Anyone who used Edge pre 2011 used EBT's and were issued with APNs.

So are you saying this is Redstone (post 2011 roughly) or is this Edge up to 2011.
                Edge. I know it included 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  As I said, I suspect that this a lot more complex than it appears.

Also a loss in FTT is hardly fatal (unless the money runs out).
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Edge. I know it included 2009.
                    HMRC issued APNS to all scheme users as far as I am aware.

Is this FTT then just to solidify that. I mean an APN is just a payment on account so the result if it was final is not going to bring additional revenue for HMRC.

Comment

Working...
                    X