• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Track the Finance Bill 2020-21 here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidD View Post
    Yes, Jesse Norman is clearly a big supporter of HMRC and the Loan Charge and his arrogant and dismissive performance is hard to watch.

This is the email I sent him this morning, I've not even attempted to bring him on board as he is so far detached from reality and so ridiculously privileged that I feel he is unworkable:

to : [email protected],

cc : My MP & [email protected]

Dear Sir,

I just wanted to let you know that your performance regarding the ‘loan charge’ has been abhorrent. You clearly hate the victims, which is your prerogative but to actually lie or be wilfully incompetent in parliament about the performance of HMRC and the genuinely brutal affects this charge has had on many ordinary families is repugnant.

I fear you may believe your own hype and somehow think you are some sort of intellectual – unfortunately your performance yesterday shows the truth - as the majority of your comments were complete drivel.

What happened to compassionate conservatism?

I’ll be doing all I can to get you ousted at the next election.

Yours,

XXXXXXXXXXX

PS - I note that when you were lining your pockets at Barclays I was serving this country....
    Everyone should be doing this, is was a shocking display once again from JN.
    Is this seriously how bills are past, by having a bias interpretation to a group of committee members who don’t understand the truth and technicalities and just go along and say ‘eye’.

I listened to most of it, but didn’t hear anything about amending the date to 2017? Did I miss that?

I believe there is another formal process for further discussion in parliament to potentially change the bill?

This idea of spreading payments over 3 yrs is a joke; if 18/19 returns have to be revised by Sep 20 and tax paid Jan 21, wouldn’t this also apply to the tax due for 19/20 as tax due also Jan 21. Tax year 20/21 is due Jan 22, therefore the entire tax is basically over just 1 year

Comment

Originally posted by DavidD View Post
      I’ll be doing all I can to get you ousted at the next election.
      I think he has a role to play and sticks to his scripts. I am sure when he does his job to push IR35 changes through, he will get a cushy position at one of the donor companies.

Comment

Finance Bill

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
        I think he has a role to play and sticks to his scripts. I am sure when he does his job to push IR35 changes through, he will get a cushy position at one of the donor companies.
        Does anyone know if there are any proposed amendments to the effect that all retrospective elements of the bill are removed? I've clicked through on the link but can't see anything that stands out, other than extending the repayment period for any charge?

Comment

Originally posted by interestedparty View Post
          Does anyone know if there are any proposed amendments to the effect that all retrospective elements of the bill are removed? I've clicked through on the link but can't see anything that stands out, other than extending the repayment period for any charge?
          Nothing tabled yet, but there is still time, all the way up to and including the reporting stage.
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
            Nothing tabled yet, but there is still time, all the way up to and including the reporting stage.
            The reporting stage is where it will happen AFAIK. I know people are working hard on it, I don't know what the suggested amendments might be. There are lots of hurdles and barriers to negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
              The reporting stage is where it will happen AFAIK. I know people are working hard on it, I don't know what the suggested amendments might be. There are lots of hurdles and barriers to negotiate.
              this is the big dilemma, for me personally...tough it out on the offchance the LC is made prospective...or just settle now. And even if the LC is made prospective (2017), how will HMRC then go after me...as assume the years i have loans (2015-2017) will still remain open. Does interest continue to accrue etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJackiels View Post
                this is the big dilemma, for me personally...tough it out on the offchance the LC is made prospective...or just settle now. And even if the LC is made prospective (2017), how will HMRC then go after me...as assume the years i have loans (2015-2017) will still remain open. Does interest continue to accrue etc.
                The reporting stage ends on the 25th June, so can you not wait it out until at least then ? That way you will know what, if any changes to the loan charge are, which should help narrow down your options ?
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                  The reporting stage ends on the 25th June, so can you not wait it out until at least then ? That way you will know what, if any changes to the loan charge are, which should help narrow down your options ?
                  I've a letter from HMRC looking for a decision by 19th of June

Comment

Finance Bill

So, on the basis that the LC becomes prospective (I know this is still unlikely), but we still have open years (pre-2017), then on what basis could HMRC apply tax + penalties + interest on us?

Comment

I've a letter from HMRC looking for a decision by 19th of June
                      Write back asking for more time... you don't need to be that inventive under the current circumstances ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X