• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Track the Finance Bill 2020-21 here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regron View Post
    Sorry to be blunt, but please don't think for ONE minute this is the case. Look at it this way with regards to their options and approach.

1. HMRC take a more relaxed approach and offer extensions etc... knowing full well that once they get your settlement money, they have it forever and you will NEVER EVER see it again, no matter how things play out in court from there on.

2. HMRC play hard ball and stick to settlement deadlines, knowing they stand the chance of losing a lot of settlement revenue, which they don't have to return, EVER.
    agreed.

Comment

McMillions

I finished watching McMillions last night: I was struck by the terms that the 'fraudsters' had to pay back their debts. Essentially the key guy, Jerome Jacobson, defrauded McDonalds of ~$24 million - he served three years in jail and has to pay back ~$370 per month. Other key fraudsters were paying back ~$100 a month. There was a real recognition that they could not automatically pay back the monies required. There was a deal made...

Although not squeaky clean, I was essentially defrauded (by a company claiming to have QC support, "it's all legit" and a £3 million defence fund in case it goes wrong and that a trust would be acting in my best interest blah blah).

So why are HMRCs terms for settlement so punitive:
      A. You will never get money paid back, no matter what legislation is passed in the future....
      B. You will be subjected to punitive forward interest.
      C. You will be subjected to past interest.
      D. You will have only 7 (think it's 7 years to pay). This makes it unpalatable and in fact impossible for me, and others, to settle on these terms.

If only HMRC took a pragmatic approach, I (and many others) would have settled a long time ago).
      Last edited by DavidD; 12 June 2020, 11:57. Reason: correcting

Comment

Fiannce Bill

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Via litigation. Either win the case against your scheme, or via a follower notice based on winning a different scheme which they consider is similar to yours.
        Although ... doesn't the fact that they were relying on legislation, i.e. the Finance Bill, to bring the LC into law indicate that, perhaps, HMRC don't have great confidence in being able to use case law to win litigation?

Comment

Originally posted by interestedparty View Post
          Although ... doesn't the fact that they were relying on legislation, i.e. the Finance Bill, to bring the LC into law indicate that, perhaps, HMRC don't have great confidence in being able to use case law to win litigation?
          Maybe, or that they are really lazy and incompetent and would much prefer to shortcut due process with some form of parliament approved extortion measure.

I think the law is increasingly being used by Judges and Govt to express feelings rather than enforce the law. Hence it becomes arbitrary in HMRC's favour.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidD View Post
            Yes, Jesse Norman is clearly a big supporter of HMRC and the Loan Charge and his arrogant and dismissive performance is hard to watch.

This is the email I sent him this morning, I've not even attempted to bring him on board as he is so far detached from reality and so ridiculously privileged that I feel he is unworkable:

to : [email protected],

cc : My MP & [email protected]

Dear Sir,

I just wanted to let you know that your performance regarding the ‘loan charge’ has been abhorrent. You clearly hate the victims, which is your prerogative but to actually lie or be wilfully incompetent in parliament about the performance of HMRC and the genuinely brutal affects this charge has had on many ordinary families is repugnant.

I fear you may believe your own hype and somehow think you are some sort of intellectual – unfortunately your performance yesterday shows the truth - as the majority of your comments were complete drivel.

What happened to compassionate conservatism?

I’ll be doing all I can to get you ousted at the next election.

Yours,

XXXXXXXXXXX

PS - I note that when you were lining your pockets at Barclays I was serving this country....
            He's now got his wife on to the tax-payer payroll as well

Comment

Originally posted by demby View Post
              He's now got his wife on to the tax-payer payroll as well
              What as. Do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                What as. Do you have a link?
                Kate Bingham appointed chair of UK Vaccine Taskforce - GOV.UK

Comment

The same one? https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/tulips

Comment

MIND

My letter to MIND this morning:

To : [email protected]

Dear Sir,

I, like many millions of others respect the important and crucial work that MIND does across the UK. Assuming that MIND was based upon the premise that ordinary vulnerable people should be helped with mental challenges it has come as a huge shock to discover that one of you patrons is Jesse Norman MP.

I can only assume that you are unaware of Jesse Normans hateful attitude to the many thousands of victims of the loan scandal throughout the UK. I clearly recognise that Mr Norman has a job to do, however the additional and unnecessary distress that he has caused to many people with his dismissive attitudes and comments in regard to suicide and the mental stress the loan charge has caused is unacceptable.

The loan charge has destroyed my life, the stress put upon myself and my children has been incalculable. Jesse Norman must not be allowed to continue as a patron of MIND.

Regards,

Comment

Letter to my MP (After reading a positive note from LCAG* I'm in full letter writing mode today)

Dear Sir,

As you are aware from my previous correspondence, I am subject to the 2019 Loan Charge.

The Report Stage for the Finance Bill commences next Wednesday 1st July and I respectfully request that you support the amendment that removes the Loan Charge for anyone who was not aware that the loans received should have been disclosed on their tax return as taxable income and did not declare them in this way.

Whilst writing to you, I would also like to draw to your attention the unacceptable behaviour of HMRC and your colleague Jesse Norman in this regard.

- HMRC continues extremely aggressive tactics to pursue the tax due even through the Covid 19 crisis.
                      - Jim Harra continues to mislead parliament and your colleagues on the finance committees.
                      - Jesse Norman continues his sneering and dismissive attacks on the victims

Yours sincerely,

--------------

*LCAG have managed to get some amendments to the finance bill for the report stage.

Comment

Working...
                      X