• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Track the Finance Bill 2020-21 here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    what if the charge were say 18.5% plus then the min tax required coupled with someone on a contract say 40k a year or under (i.e. Nurses Social workers etc) would take home 81% of their money using the correct tax calculations. How would they know without going into detail that their deductions weren't going too right people places. These scheme sellers don't always explain in detail how they work. Its all fine the fine print
    Yes, there may be cases where it's not so obvious that something is untoward. I also have some sympathy for those who were recommended schemes by agencies, especially foreign workers.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
      I assume you don't follow LCAG and some of their evidence nor did you read the Morse review in detail. Some people had no option but to go via certain umbrellas/agencies. Maybe coerced rather than forced, but lets not pick bones
      You said people were STILL being forced into these schemes. I stand by what I said.

Comment

When will this bill be passed into law?
        I settled on a loan from 2004 and was told I am able to get a refund once it is passed into law

Comment

Originally posted by bosleyrog View Post
          When will this bill be passed into law?
          I settled on a loan from 2004 and was told I am able to get a refund once it is passed into law
          Free money !!!! Did you get that in writing from HMRC?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

It was supposed to be sometime in July at the earliest, not sure where it stands currently

And yes it is in writing from HMRC as far as I know
            Implementation of changes to the loan charge: refunding voluntary restitution - GOV.UK

Comment

Reasonable disclosure

I wondered if anybody had managed to make the 'reasonable disclosure' terms work in their favour?

Mine all fall 2011-2016, but Smartpay (AML based loans) filled out my tax returns for the years in question and I suspect i've little means of laying any claim to this. Would be interested to hear if anybody has argued that HMRC knew of these firms and their arrangements which would imply some level of disclosure by not hiding their usage.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyo99 View Post
                I wondered if anybody had managed to make the 'reasonable disclosure' terms work in their favour?

Mine all fall 2011-2016, but Smartpay (AML based loans) filled out my tax returns for the years in question and I suspect i've little means of laying any claim to this. Would be interested to hear if anybody has argued that HMRC knew of these firms and their arrangements which would imply some level of disclosure by not hiding their usage.
                I think the only case where you'd have a strong claim for 'reasonable disclosure" is if there was a DOTAS number on your returns. However, if there was a DOTAS number on, HMRC would almost certainly have opened automatic enquiries and you wouldn't now have closed (unprotected) years.

Some people may have some wording about loans in the white space on their returns but I doubt HMRC would accept that as sufficient.

There's no harm in trying but I would expect HMRC to reject virtually all claims. If you felt you had a good case, you'd probably have to take it to tribunal.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  There's no harm in trying but I would expect HMRC to reject virtually all claims. If you felt you had a good case, you'd probably have to take it to tribunal.
                  Thinking about it, I don't know if that's a safe assumption.

Could there be a risk of penalties if you file a 2018/19 return claiming* the LC doesn't apply because there was 'reasonable disclosure' on your original tax returns?

* especially if the claim is a bit flimsy or spurious
                  Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 12 July 2020, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    Thinking about it, I don't know if that's a safe assumption.

Could there be a risk of penalties if you file a 2018/19 return claiming* the LC doesn't apply because there was 'reasonable disclosure' on your original tax returns?

* especially if the claim is a bit flimsy or spurious
                    Is there a definition for reasonable disclosure yet? I would have thought DOTAS or any information stating that a loan was received is reasonable. Surely they would have opened an enquiry anyway.
                    Some schemes worked by paying divi’s to reduce balance. Therefore there would not necessarily be outstanding loan balance (not that this should be taxed anyway as it was a loan).

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
                      Is there a definition for reasonable disclosure yet?
                      Not seen one but, knowing HMRC, I'm not expecting it to be very reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                      X