• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC turning a blind eye to FRAUD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC turning a blind eye to FRAUD

HMRC are even disregarding PAYE where:
    • An IoM scheme had a UK front company (UK-FC)
    • UK-FC was supplying thousands of UK resident self-employed sole traders, to businesses in the UK, on behalf of IoM companies
    • UK-FC was run by the same family which ran the IoM companies
    • UK-FC evaded £millions in Employer NI contributions alone

HMRC are fully aware of all of this but prefer to look the other way.

This is what you're up against folks!

Originally posted by More Lamb View Post
    • UK-FC was supplying thousands of UK resident self-employed sole traders, to businesses in the UK, on behalf of IoM companies

sorry for my bad but...

what do you mean by disregarding PAYE and look the other way

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
      sorry for my bad but...

what do you mean by disregarding PAYE and look the other way
      UK-FC broke the law and defrauded the Exchequer.

HMRC have chosen to disregard this and transfer the liability to the workers instead. They've given UK-FC a free pass.

Comment

UK-FC broke the law and defrauded the Exchequer.

HMRC have chosen to disregard this and transfer the liability to the workers instead. They've given UK-FC a free pass.
        OK see what you mean. This has always been known right. HMRC have never actually challenged any scheme providers until recently (if you care to believe HMRC on this... I still dont) but just mopped up the poor old users. I see a rather fabulous tweet by Keith Gordon on something similar today.

Comment

How is this fraud?

What's illegal about a UK company supplying self-employed workers?

Exactly what law(s) have been broken?
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Because IoM scheme might be out of jurisdiction of HMRC and have much better lawyers than your average jobbing contractor?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Sorry Simon but that holds no water.

The UK and IOM have a reciprocal agreement for NIC. It dates back to 1948 and basically says that the two territories are treated as one for NIC purposes. Isle of Man Government - Reciprocal Agreement with the UK

If NIC was due in the UK from an IOM based employer then the IOM authorities can enforce collection on behalf of HMRC and have done so, quite recently in relation to the Penfolds scheme.

Isle of Man Judgments Online

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                How is this fraud?

What's illegal about a UK company supplying self-employed workers?

Exactly what law(s) have been broken?
                A UK company which supplies workers to other companies is treated as an 'agency', and is covered by the agency laws.

The agency laws prohibit the supply of self-employed workers, unless they are 100% genuinely self-employed. Very few workers meet this criteria, and certainly not your average IT contractor.

Now, if an agency did this with the odd one or two self-employed workers then that might be forgivable. It could be put down to carelessness.

UK-FC did this on an industrial scale with thousands of self-employed workers. That is FRAUD, and HMRC are choosing to turn a blind eye to it.

Comment

The agency laws prohibit the supply of self-employed workers, unless they are 100% genuinely self-employed. Very few workers meet this criteria, and certainly not your average IT contractor.
                  The agency law does not prohibit supply of self-employed workers. It just puts the liability for unpaid taxes on the agency if the worker turns out to not be self-employed after all.

Not surprisingly this meant agencies won't work generally with the self-employed, hence the rise of the ltd.co. contractor. It also explains the nature of IR35 - it's a (un)natural progression from the agency law. "If the ltd.co. wasn't there, would the worker be an employee?".
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    The agency law does not prohibit supply of self-employed workers. It just puts the liability for unpaid taxes on the agency if the worker turns out to not be self-employed after all.
                    Thanks, that is helpful.

What about a UK agency which only ever supplied self-employed workers, and a few thousand of them over several years? What would you normally expect HMRC to do about that?

Because this case involves tax avoidance, maybe it's ok for HMRC to use their discretion and let UK-FC off the hook and put the liability on the workers?

Comment

Working...
                    X