• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

7 Lives Lost to Suicide Due to Loan Charge – Media enabling Government to bury story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Lives Lost to Suicide Due to Loan Charge – Media enabling Government to bury story

Folks, good morning and thanks for accepting my participation in this important network.

I am sure you are all as outraged as I am around the Contractor Loan Charge and the application of Retrospective Taxation Our national media appears to turning a blind eye to the whole issue, only regional media is actively drawing attention to the tragic loss of life.

If you agree please support my in my Change Org Petition below, this call on Boris Johnson to support clause NC31, I am at almost 500 signatures, your own will make a big difference.

https://www.change.org/Loan_Charge_killing_People_Lets_Save_Lives

Yesterday I published an open letter to both Parliament and the House of Lords, call for change, this morning on Twitter @smt2264 I posted the open letter below calling for action.

Thanks for your support!

Dear National Media
    8th July 2020

7 Lives Lost to Suicide Due to Loan Charge – Please stop enabling Government to bury this story

As media outlets you are correctly calling out the exceptional work of our NHS Hero’s and this morning you correctly called out a risk of paid parking returning.

However, you are deaf to the plight of thousands of NHS Workers caught up in the Loan Charge legislation. These are amongst the lowest paid workers in society. These are people who do not have the means to repay, these are people who will be driven below the poverty threshold in order to repay an unjust debt to HMRC.

As a nation if we correctly want to celebrate our NHS Hero’s! While being silent to a sub-set of thousands, this government have caused through no fault of their own to be caught in a retrospective tax trap. Why is a £5 per day parking more newsworthy, than the Loan Charge?

Our very own Prime Minister owes his life to the very people he celebrates in one breath while enabling HMRC to make crippling financial demands in another. How can such duplicity remain unreported by mainstream media?

Seven lives have been lost to suicide thus far! These are lives considered by Jesse Norman, Boris Johnson and many more in Government to be an acceptable level of collateral damage! This is utterly operant given the cross-party support given within Parliament to the Suicide Prevention Plan published in January 2019 and for amendment NC31. As national media outlets, your silence in this issue is denying so many a voice, making you complicit in this loss of life!

The retrospective application of tax law is utterly unacceptable; you can't penalise people for acting within the tax laws after the event. Those impacted by this acted upon advice given by QC's confirming these schemes were compliant with the law at the time as did HMRC.

Thousands of people are at risk of, losing their home, personal bankruptcy, breakdown of marriages and long-term partnerships and many will be driven into despair and suicide. Is this not the very essence of a worthy news story?

Please act and please help save lives.

Warm regards Shaun Taylor
    [email protected]
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 9 July 2020, 08:36. Reason: Edits made in accordance with Samaritans Guidelines

Twitter Poll on Loan Charge please give me you vote on this key issue

https://twitter.com/smt2264/status/1...529516544?s=21

Comment

Not sure your link (in original email is working) it certainly wont open for me. Cheers.

Comment

Managed to find it by accessing change.org and using search term 'Loan Charge'

Cheers.

Comment

I think you've extracted as much concession from the Government as you're going to get.

There's no harm in continuing trying but don't let it become an all consuming obsession which ends up making you ill.

I know, from painful experience, what can happen if you're not willing, at some point, to let it go.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            I think you've extracted as much concession from the Government as you're going to get.

There's no harm in continuing trying but don't let it become an all consuming obsession which ends up making you ill.

I know, from painful experience, what can happen if you're not willing, at some point, to let it go.
            I would agree with this. Continue to fight by all means (I am) but you have to plan for worst ! In fact, have more than one plan. The best, worst and somewhere in the middle. It's a lot clearer once you know ALL your options.
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Some posts have been moved to General.

If you want to consider generic/philosophical implications of this thread, post there.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Some posts have been moved to General.

If you want to consider generic/philosophical implications of this thread, post there.
                (Hopefully this is ok.)

It's no great surprise that sudden negative wealth shocks can affect people's health.

New Study Links 'Wealth Shock' to Early Grave

I think the psychological impact is worse for something like the loan charge because the wealth shock has been brought about by deliberate, targeted action by your own Government. Rightly or wrongly, people may feel persecuted or victimised.

From painful personal experience, if you harbour these feelings for too long, things only get worse.

It's better to let it go, write off the loss, and try and move forward with your life.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  (Hopefully this is ok.)

It's no great surprise that sudden negative wealth shocks can affect people's health.

New Study Links 'Wealth Shock' to Early Grave

I think the psychological impact is worse for something like the loan charge because the wealth shock has been brought about by deliberate, targeted action by your own Government. Rightly or wrongly, people may feel persecuted or victimised.

From painful personal experience, if you harbour these feelings for too long, things only get worse.

It's better to let it go, write off the loss, and try and move forward with your life.
                  sensible words but very difficult when its life changing as it is for a great %. Me personally I will survive but it will affect the next 10-15 years of not only my life but also my wife and kids...… as long as HMRC play ball and be realistic with TTPs.... if not there are dire consequences

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                    sensible words but very difficult when its life changing as it is for a great %.
                    I know. It took me years to come to terms with it.

I knew a guy back then who chose to withdraw his appeals and go bankrupt. I couldn't for the life of me understand why he wouldn't keep fighting it. Several years later he was definitely in a much better place than me.

Everyone has to find their own way through this. For many, like me, there will be adverse health consequences.

Comment

Working...
                    X