• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial advisor required for Hmrc loan charge demand.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial advisor required for Hmrc loan charge demand.

Hi,

I'm new here and desperately need a financial advisor to have a look at my situation with regards to Hmrc Loan Charge demand.

I stupidly paid the 5% scheme with Vanquish Options and Hmrc are still chasing me.

Many thanks,
    Les

I hope this isn't a sockie.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      I hope this isn't a sockie.
      What's a sockie, I am not part of any organisation, I genuinely need help!

Comment

To the best of my knowledge NO "loan charge demands" have been issued as the due date is 30th September 2020.

I suspect that what you have (if anything) is one of perhaps two letters from HMRC.

One will say that you have an opportunity to settle and that it will expire soon.

The other may be a more detailed letter concerning the actions undertaken around the loan charge avoidance plan from Vanquish.

There is speculation in these threads about HMRC policy re the use of loan charge avoidance schemes and whether they will rather more aggressive toward them than the usual run of enquiries.

A lot of people who used AML and who assumed (rightly or wrongly) that they were ALSO their tax agent (suggest you check the engagement terms) did get advice from their in house tax team.

My understanding is that the majority of that team, at the time AML pulled back from active schemes, came together in a new company. That new company did contact many AML users for various purposes.

Connections between AML, the new tax firm and Vanquish are rather more tangled and implied than explicit. In our view however there is a connection. Regardless, evidence that the tax firm had any involvement in Vanquish, before, during or post the structuring is inconclusive.

Nonetheless it would be sensible to start with that tax firm as their past/present relationship with AML may allow them to know what the Vanquish scheme set out to do and how to defend against the HMRC claims.

I cannot name them because of forum rules, but a few minutes research will reward you.

Bear in mind that having connections between vendor of product and tax advisory firms is probably good in terms of information, but can also create conflicts of interest.

Other than that, Google will give you a list of tax advisers and refining your search to terms such as "loan charge", "contractors", will narrow down the list of candidates.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I'm making some assumptions here (which I know is not always a good idea).

Presumably the Vanquish thing involved doing something during the 2018/19 tax year to counteract the LC?

Did that something have to be notified to HMRC at the time? Or, would HMRC only become aware of it when you submitted your 2018/19 tax return?

If the latter, have you already submitted your 2018/19 tax return? If so, what did you put on it?
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

There have been a number of Vanquish posts over the last few days so I'm guessing that emails are landing in inboxes.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Also, have a read of this. https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-warrants.html
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                There have been a number of Vanquish posts over the last few days so I'm guessing that emails are landing in inboxes.
                I've only seen two, both by this new user 'landsendsolo'.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  I'm making some assumptions here (which I know is not always a good idea).

Presumably the Vanquish thing involved doing something during the 2018/19 tax year to counteract the LC?

Did that something have to be notified to HMRC at the time? Or, would HMRC only become aware of it when you submitted your 2018/19 tax return?

If the latter, have you already submitted your 2018/19 tax return? If so, what did you put on it?
                  I had no earnings for 2018/19 so never put in a return but I was told by vanquish options to add a note to returns if I had any stating that the loans in questions had been settled.

Funnily enough I have received a request from Hmrc in the last couple of weeks to submit a return for 2018/19.

I've contacted Gilbert Tax for advice, waiting for one of their tax advisers to get back to me.

Comment

This is what Vanquish Options advised for returns.

Good afternoon,

As you will be aware there is a requirement to Notify HMRC of certain information in relation to the loans that you had. We have reviewed the requirements and can confirm that we have been advised that you do not need to notify HMRC in respect of your loans.

If HMRC require you to submit a tax return for 2018/19 you will need to complete and submit it to them. As your loans were repaid by 5 April 2019 you will not need to return any details in respect of the loan charge. You should add a note to the return in the free text space stating that you did receive loans that would be caught by the Loan Charge, but that these were all repaid by 5 April 2019.

If you have any questions please email us at [email protected]. This will enable us to deal with any queries in the most efficient way.

Kind Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    X