• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering to Settle Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering to Settle Question

I received a letter in January 2020 entitled "Changes to the loan charge following independent review-what this means to you"
    The opening line says "Thank you for registering to settle your disguised remuneration tax affairs"
    The rest of it is obviously a generic letter.

My question is, I never registered to settle?

Last week I received another letter "Disguised remuneration scheme use - your offer to settle"
    It then goes on to tell me I owe circa £58k

I have never registered to settle or offered to settle? Can anybody please explain this.

Erm...It is now August 2020?

What steps have you taken since January 2020, if any?

Is the letter on an official HMRC Letterhead?

Have you asked your Accountant?

Were you ever using a "scam" Scheme?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Erm...It is now August 2020?

What steps have you taken since January 2020, if any?

Is the letter on an official HMRC Letterhead?

Have you asked your Accountant?

Were you ever using a "scam" Scheme?
      That wasn't the question though was it? I have used a scheme and I know what it is all about, my question is that I have never registered to settle so why does the correspondence say thank you for registering to settle?

Comment

Ok, if that's the way you wish to play it...

First 3 questions apply.

I am out of here. Good luck with your settlement.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Ok, if that's the way you wish to play it...

First 3 questions apply.

I am out of here. Good luck with your settlement.
          And that is the exact reason people are frightened to post on here who have concerns, because people like you start your reply with "Errm..."
          You may as just well open with "Are you stupid?"
          Keep your sarcasm mate, you don't help.

Comment

Originally posted by keeno65 View Post
            That wasn't the question though was it? I have used a scheme and I know what it is all about, my question is that I have never registered to settle so why does the correspondence say thank you for registering to settle?
            Why don't you call HMRC and ask

I guess you declared your loans last September as this was mandatory.. I think if you have not declared an interest in settling HMRC are maybe trying to give you a nudge would be my guess

Comment

<snip>

My question is, I never registered to settle?

<snip>

I have never registered to settle or offered to settle? Can anybody please explain this.
              Without knowing what previous communication you've had with HMRC, I'm not sure how anyone here can tell you if you have or have not previously registered to settle.

Are you confident that you haven't? If so, contact HMRC and tell them that. But, if you've ignored this letter since January, then I doubt they'll be very willing to support your view without evidence.

Comment

HMRC has made an assumption that all those who used a scheme would have registered to settle and in an effort to encourage that action they have sent out the template letters.

No conspiracy, no hidden agendas, just a template letter that may (or may not) mean that more people settle and HMRC avoids a long and messy and embarrassing litigation.

Your choice is to ignore the letter - in which case you need to find a means to settle on whatever basis you consider is correct - or to respond, follow the process and when you get the final value, consider if that is "better" than the litigation/your own view of correct position.

That final decision will be a very subjective one.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  HMRC has made an assumption that all those who used a scheme would have registered to settle and in an effort to encourage that action they have sent out the template letters.

No conspiracy, no hidden agendas, just a template letter that may (or may not) mean that more people settle and HMRC avoids a long and messy and embarrassing litigation.

Your choice is to ignore the letter - in which case you need to find a means to settle on whatever basis you consider is correct - or to respond, follow the process and when you get the final value, consider if that is "better" than the litigation/your own view of correct position.

That final decision will be a very subjective one.
                  Thanks webberg, that indeed makes sense now, I did not ignore the letter received in January (the template letter) I asked for advice on it and was told pretty much the same that it was a "phishing" letter.

However now that I have received " your offer to settle " letter with detailed breakdown of loans received, tax owed and interest owed for 3 separate tax years , that is why I asked the question, I have only ever returned loan statements for one of the tax years so I don't know where they have got the figure from for the other 2 years. Like I said I have never registered to settle.

The letter says I have to respond by the 19th August:

1: I still want to settle some, or all, of my disguised remuneration scheme use now.
                  or
                  2: I do not want to settle any of my disguised remuneration scheme use now.

It does not say there are any consequences by not responding?

My thoughts are I should just ignore and seek further advice from an advisor.

Comment

It does not say there are any consequences by not responding?

My thoughts are I should just ignore and seek further advice from an advisor.
                    HMRC has many information sources and tracing information on individuals is something that they can do with some accuracy.

Bear in mind that these letters have been - to a degree - prepared by people skilled in using techniques - psychological and practical to achieve a given outcome.

Part of that technique is to present one path.

(A slightly different approach is used later in the process whereby the one path is lined with traps and all other paths lead to the seventh ring of hell).

If you ignore it, you do do not get the settlement terms laid out in November 2017.

HMRC will tell you - without any factual basis - that settlement terms will never be so good again and that if you chose to ignore them, expect problems.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X