Settlement deadline 30th September 2020 Settlement deadline 30th September 2020 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    You need to be chasing them NOW
    thanks

    I am chasing them. All their systems were down and they told me to call back tomorrow.

  2. #22

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default 10% Expenses Allowance HMRC Policy

    I also had the 10% allowance for expenses, but had to press for a correction to their calculations where they included my PAYE nett salary in the loan amount. Once corrected, it's now reduced the settlement amount by £17k (from £87k down to £70k)! Even now, they've made a further mistake in transcribing tax due amounts from their own spreadsheets to the Choices Letter that I have to sign! (Several hundred pounds error to my detriment).

    Regarding expenses, I see that many on here have stated they were never given the 10% expenses option. I believe HMRC are legally bound to treat all in a fair and equitable manner (sic). I think it's too late for anyone to now fight for the 10% given the looming end date, but post settlement I wonder if those impacted (never offered the 10% option) may have an actionable complaint legally. (Having to settle to meet the end of Sept date may be construed as being under duress). It may well depend on whether numbers are sufficient to garner publicity. Only a thought...

    Quote Originally Posted by Delendog View Post
    In my case they found a complaint in my favor promised to respond to all my queries within 10 working days and actually followed up and responded. They agreed with my calculation of tax which I'd also included 10% loan amount allowance for expenses and now a caseworker is finally being allocated. That is how it helped.

  3. #23

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    25,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukcommando View Post
    I also had the 10% allowance for expenses, but had to press for a correction to their calculations where they included my PAYE nett salary in the loan amount. Once corrected, it's now reduced the settlement amount by £17k (from £87k down to £70k)! Even now, they've made a further mistake in transcribing tax due amounts from their own spreadsheets to the Choices Letter that I have to sign! (Several hundred pounds error to my detriment).

    Regarding expenses, I see that many on here have stated they were never given the 10% expenses option. I believe HMRC are legally bound to treat all in a fair and equitable manner (sic). I think it's too late for anyone to now fight for the 10% given the looming end date, but post settlement I wonder if those impacted (never offered the 10% option) may have an actionable complaint legally. (Having to settle to meet the end of Sept date may be construed as being under duress). It may well depend on whether numbers are sufficient to garner publicity. Only a thought...
    HMRC can do what they want - if pressed they will just say that the 10% expenses shouldn't have been allowed.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  4. #24

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hence why I said that for those affected, they need to get the settlement done and put to bed. After that, it's a question of numbers, how many can stand up and say they were given the allowance, versus how many weren't given the choice. HMRC may like to think they can do what they want, but they don't always get things their own way. It may well come down to publicity factor in the end, e.g. why did so many get the allowance and so many not? I'm fortunate in this particular aspect, many others weren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    HMRC can do what they want - if pressed they will just say that the 10% expenses shouldn't have been allowed.

  5. #25

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    25,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukcommando View Post
    Hence why I said that for those affected, they need to get the settlement done and put to bed. After that, it's a question of numbers, how many can stand up and say they were given the allowance, versus how many weren't given the choice. HMRC may like to think they can do what they want, but they don't always get things their own way. It may well come down to publicity factor in the end, e.g. why did so many get the allowance and so many not? I'm fortunate in this particular aspect, many others weren't.
    And my point was that mentioning that you got 10% is offering people fake hope - especially given that everything needs to be sorted in 3 weeks and both HMRC and tax advisers have massive waiting lists.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #26

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Not quite sure what you mean by fake hope? I haven't suggested in any way, shape or form that folk delay their progress to settlement given the deadline date, quite the opposite in fact. I was quite clear that I thought it might be something that can be pursued at a later date. That's all..

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    And my point was that mentioning that you got 10% is offering people fake hope - especially given that everything needs to be sorted in 3 weeks and both HMRC and tax advisers have massive waiting lists.

  7. #27

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    25,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukcommando View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by fake hope? I haven't suggested in any way, shape or form that folk delay their progress to settlement given the deadline date, quite the opposite in fact. I was quite clear that I thought it might be something that can be pursued at a later date. That's all..
    pursued at a later date, after reaching agreement with HMRC - sorry I can't see HMRC agreeing to any discount after you've reached a final agreement.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #28

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hi All,

    Just wondering how many people are still waiting for a response from HMRC to settle?

    I have being calling constantly for last 3 weeks and the first line team Emily, Michael and Anna sofar have all been really helpful but all said my case (number has changed since 2019 review) is with the review team and they will contact me but they haven't and I can't seem to contact them.

    I have been stuck in The Netherlands since February due to covid and did phone them to tell them this in April and I also filled in the declaration to use email as I have no access to postal mail, has anyone else every corresponded by email?

    If I don't hear from them soon do I just add together all the years they say I have loans and divide that by 3 and add that to my 2018/2019 return submit before sept 30th and pay at same for avoid interest from February being added?

    I usually assume I will be at the end of any list because my surname starts with a letter towards the end of the alphabet but they seem to be cutting it close and I am worried a letter is being sent with usual respond in 7 days to my UK address

    Thanks

    Carla

  9. #29

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I'm waiting on them to either accept or reject my settlement offer. They gave me until the 4th of September to return the offer letter, which I've done. I've not heard anything from them since then.

  10. #30

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carla58 View Post
    Hi All,

    Just wondering how many people are still waiting for a response from HMRC to settle?

    If I don't hear from them soon do I just add together all the years they say I have loans and divide that by 3 and add that to my 2018/2019 return submit before sept 30th and pay at same for avoid interest from February being added?

    I usually assume I will be at the end of any list because my surname starts with a letter towards the end of the alphabet but they seem to be cutting it close and I am worried a letter is being sent with usual respond in 7 days to my UK address

    Thanks

    Carla
    First, there is no correlation between alphabetical names and how long HMRC take to respond. I'd like to say that there is a correlation with something, but to be honest I can't find one.

    Second, you're mixing apples and oranges a bit.

    You're waiting on HMRC for settlement. If you get that, then there is no need to make any disclosure in a tax return.

    If you are unable to settle because of your delays (or choice) then you need to complete the online form for outstanding loans, complete the SATR boxes and elect for the three year treatment. It's all explained in those documents.

    If you are unable to settle despite your best efforts, because HMRC has not responded, then that's tricky. Strictly that rules you out of Nov 17 terms and you need to do the disclosure above. However if you advanced in the process I find it hard to imagine that the deadline means quite what HMRC claims.

    This is a very unsatisfactory situation all round.

    HMRC has to carry some blame here.

    However many people who want to settle also left things late.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •