• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timescales for HMRC to accept/reject an offer to settle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timescales for HMRC to accept/reject an offer to settle

Any idea how long it takes HMRC to accept/reject an offer to settle once you've completed and returned the 'letter of offer'?
    Last edited by Simon100; 9 September 2020, 10:31.

Between three and six working days.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Ah, that doesn't bode well, I returned my completed 'offer to settle letter' 7 working days ago and haven't had anything back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post
        Ah, that doesn't bode well, I returned my completed 'offer to settle letter' 7 working days ago and haven't had anything back yet.
        Then don't wait.

Get on the phone and chase.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          Then don't wait.

Get on the phone and chase.
          to be fair to people and I know its painful right now but i was holding for 35 mins yesterday. Day before was over that. Once i did get through they asked me to write in. Take from that what you want but its extremly hard to get answers and discuss right now with HMRC without putting stuff in writing.

Ive been at this now for more than a several weeks and its like a game of chess. The window of settlement from roughly July (when HMRC committed to writing to people post Morse) till 30/9 (settlement deadline) is not enough time. Never was and never would be. Ive gone to email communication because snail mail letters are just to slow. Take from that what you will. I think it suits HMRC for the LC to kick in. Thats just my experience anyway

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
            to be fair to people and I know its painful right now but i was holding for 35 mins yesterday. Day before was over that. Once i did get through they asked me to write in. Take from that what you want but its extremly hard to get answers and discuss right now with HMRC without putting stuff in writing.

Ive been at this now for more than a several weeks and its like a game of chess. The window of settlement from roughly July (when HMRC committed to writing to people post Morse) till 30/9 (settlement deadline) is not enough time. Never was and never would be. Ive gone to email communication because snail mail letters are just to slow. Take from that what you will. I think it suits HMRC for the LC to kick in. Thats just my experience anyway
            The above does not reflect our experience.

Settlement began in November 2017 - 34 months ago.

HMRC paused work in late summer 2019 but you could continue the process if you wished and many people did.

The first "reactivation" letters we received were Feb/March - leaving 7 months to finalise.

We have nonetheless been pushing HMRC hard pretty much every day as instances remain of error and dilatory behaviours.

It is inevitable that there will be instances of unfinished settlements at the end of Sep. I would hope that HMRC would allow these to be finished where the delay is because of their inability to process information quickly enough against their self imposed deadline. If that is the case I would expect an announcement on 1st October.

If you are waiting for HMRC - DON'T.

Call, email, write, etc if your choice is to settle.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              The above does not reflect our experience.

Settlement began in November 2017 - 34 months ago.

HMRC paused work in late summer 2019 but you could continue the process if you wished and many people did.

The first "reactivation" letters we received were Feb/March - leaving 7 months to finalise.

We have nonetheless been pushing HMRC hard pretty much every day as instances remain of error and dilatory behaviours.

It is inevitable that there will be instances of unfinished settlements at the end of Sep. I would hope that HMRC would allow these to be finished where the delay is because of their inability to process information quickly enough against their self imposed deadline. If that is the case I would expect an announcement on 1st October.

If you are waiting for HMRC - DON'T.

Call, email, write, etc if your choice is to settle.
              I my case they wrote to me saying I needed to make a written offer by the 4th of September. I signed and returned the letter of offer prior to this date. Given I've not asked for TTP and have used their calculations, I would hope they'd accept, but who knows?
              Last edited by Simon100; 9 September 2020, 15:08.

Comment

Working...
              X