• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC regarding possible involvement in Tax avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Completely irrelevant - HMRC will be treating it as untaxed income.

Leave this umbrella, find a proper one (see the umbrella forum for ideas) and start saving to pay the tax bill HMRC are about to send you.
    ^^^
    This.

To work out what you may end up owing, put your total income (wage+loans) into this tax calculator and deduct the tax you've already paid through PAYE.
    Tax Calculator | UK Tax Calculators
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert49 View Post
      As others have said move asap to a reputable umbrella, you can't do much about last year's tax, but if you have the funds you might want to consider making a pension contribution equal to the loan amount received this year, or at least the amount of your total income this year (including the loans) over 50k . If you can manage the first any tax payable on the loan will go into your pension, if the 2nd then any 40% rate tax will go into your pension.
      I would also suggest you consider doing this soon in case the chancellor decides to cut pension tax relief to pay for Covid19.
      Get proper professional advice on that - that advice was given to cover the very specific situation of the loan charge and may be completely and utterly wrong for everything else.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Pension Offset

Get proper professional advice on that - that advice was given to cover the very specific situation of the loan charge and may be completely and utterly wrong for everything else.
        The use of pension contributions to offset tax on earned income is standard tax planning and is NOT specific to the loan charge.

Comment

The use of pension contributions to offset tax on earned income is standard tax planning and is NOT specific to the loan charge.
          But if you owe money in 2019/20 how does paying into a pension in the tax year 2020/21 help you?

We don't know enough to give that sort of advice which is why I was questioning it and tax advice from strangers where you haven't checked their actual qualifications isn't the brightest idea given that these people have already made that mistake once.

Comment

But if you owe money in 2019/20 how does paying into a pension in the tax year 2020/21 help you?

We don't know enough to give that sort of advice which is why I was questioning it...
            Perhaps you should reread my post:
            As others have said move asap to a reputable umbrella, you can't do much about last year's tax, but if you have the funds you might want to consider making a pension contribution equal to the loan amount received this year, or at least the amount of your total income this year (including the loans) over 50k . If you can manage the first any tax payable on the loan will go into your pension, if the 2nd then any 40% rate tax will go into your pension.

Comment

Perhaps you should reread my post:
              Perhaps I'm being a bit dim (it is Monday) but could I ask you to give an example of how you think this works please?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                Perhaps I'm being a bit dim (it is Monday) but could I ask you to give an example of how you think this works please?
                Ignoring NI, and agency fees
                assuming Min wage =£10 per hour
                Contract rate £40 per hour (£30 per hour undeclared)
                40 hour week
                25 weeks (Apr 20 to SEP 20) with current umbrella
                25 weeks with legit umbrella (Oct 20 to Mar 21)

Declared income at end of mar 21= £10 * 40 hours * 25 weeks
                + £40 * 40 hours * 25 weeks = £50k

Undeclared income = £30 * 40 hours * 25 weeks= £30k.

HMRC will say £30k is taxable at 40% = £12k tax

Alternative contribute £30k gross into pension (£24k net pension company add £6k tax relief) , £12k tax bill is reduced to £6k by £30k extension of 20% tax band due to pension contribution.
                Result £30k in pension, which includes the £12k tax that was due.

Comment

Ignoring NI, and agency fees
                  assuming Min wage =£10 per hour
                  Contract rate £40 per hour (£30 per hour undeclared)
                  40 hour week
                  25 weeks (Apr 20 to SEP 20) with current umbrella
                  25 weeks with legit umbrella (Oct 20 to Mar 21)

Declared income at end of mar 21= £10 * 40 hours * 25 weeks
                  + £40 * 40 hours * 25 weeks = £50k

Undeclared income = £30 * 40 hours * 25 weeks= £30k.

HMRC will say £30k is taxable at 40% = £12k tax

Alternative contribute £30k gross into pension (£24k net pension company add £6k tax relief) , £12k tax bill is reduced to £6k by £30k extension of 20% tax band due to pension contribution.
                  Result £30k in pension, which includes the £12k tax that was due.
                  Where is that tax relief coming from? As I said before if you are planning to do this you need professional advice as while you can use this technique you have to get everything correct to avoid creating another mess.
                  Last edited by eek; 21 September 2020, 10:21.

Comment

Where is that tax relief coming from...
                    Are you referring to £6k tax relief pension company add ?
                    If so, they are claiming it from HMRC, it is the same £6k tax (reduced from 12k) you pay to HMRC.

Comment

Some people used pension contributions, in a similar way, to relieve the loan charge but obviously you had to make the contributions during the 2018/19 tax year. I guess some may have had to unwind the contributions after the Govt removed pre-2010 loans from the loan charge.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X