• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non UK Resident With UK Assets and September Deadline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non UK Resident With UK Assets and September Deadline

I'm trying to determine best action given the upcoming September deadline.

I've got one open year, settlement offer from HMRC, submitted a UK SATR for UK income. I'm non resident.

My understanding I could do the following:

1) Settle but noting this may not be the end

2) Adjust the whitespace in my SATR to stall any potential charges. But run the risk of scrutiny or penalties from HMRC.

3) Adjust SATR to include loan amounts and pay tax.

4) Submit loan amounts via online portal and pay debt over 3 years.

5) Do nothing on the assumption HMRC cannot come after a non resident. Run the risk of HMRC clawing at UK assets.

I'd like to think 2 & 5 provide me an opportunity to stall things further on the hope of successful JRs etc However concerned that penalities and interest will start accruing from 30/09 and sure HMRC will use the latest SATR to apply more scrutiny.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by dmuk View Post
      I'm trying to determine best action given the upcoming September deadline.

I've got one open year, settlement offer from HMRC, submitted a UK SATR for UK income. I'm non resident.

My understanding I could do the following:

1) Settle but noting this may not be the end Settlement is the end.

2) Adjust the whitespace in my SATR to stall any potential charges. But run the risk of scrutiny or penalties from HMRC. Assume you mean the 2018/19 return for the loan charge? Not sure putting anything in the whitespace would make any difference.

3) Adjust SATR to include loan amounts and pay tax. You mean pay the loan charge?

4) Submit loan amounts via online portal and pay debt over 3 years. By debt, do you mean loan charge?

5) Do nothing on the assumption HMRC cannot come after a non resident. Run the risk of HMRC clawing at UK assets.

I'd like to think 2 & 5 provide me an opportunity to stall things further on the hope of successful JRs etc However concerned that penalities and interest will start accruing from 30/09 and sure HMRC will use the latest SATR to apply more scrutiny.
      AKAIK, the only options HMRC will accept are:

a) settle
      OR
      b) pay the loan charge (declare loans on 2018/19 SATR or spread over 3 tax years 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21)
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        AKAIK, the only options HMRC will accept are:

a) settle
        OR
        b) pay the loan charge (declare loans on 2018/19 SATR or spread over 3 tax years 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21)
        a) Settle and put an end to this saga. Would include all interest & penalties; with some sort of instalment plan?

b) How do you spread the tax? Is this via the SATR or portal or both?

Does this still apply to non-residents?

Comment

Originally posted by dmuk View Post
          a) Settle and put an end to this saga. Would include all interest & penalties; with some sort of instalment plan? Yes, you can pay it over several years. Interest only applies to open years. There are no penalties.

b) How do you spread the tax? Is this via the SATR or portal or both? Don't know the mechanics of it but you can definitely spread the loan charge over 3 years.

Does this still apply to non-residents? Yes.
          See above.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
          X