• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is settlement the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is settlement the end?

For those that have settled with HMRC. Do you think this will be the end of it, or do you think HMRC are going to come back for more at a later stage? Inheritance tax for example?

BTW, this isn't meant to upset people. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post
    For those that have settled with HMRC. Do you think this will be the end of it, or do you think HMRC are going to come back for more at a later stage? Inheritance tax for example?

BTW, this isn't meant to upset people. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?
    It is supposed to be the end yes... but who the hell knows? It's the end at the moment.

Comment

If you sign a binding legal contract with HMRC, both parties are to be held to it.

If you have been dishonest in arriving at the contract, it can be voided. If you have approached the process that ended in a contract in an honest manner "with open hands", you have nothing to fear.

HMRC can lobby for change in tax law and carry some weight.

Can you really see HMRC carrying the same power in trying to change contract law (which probably outranks tax law)?

I'm aware that there are conspiracy theorists out there who will use increasingly bizarre reasoning so as not to trust HMRC but for what it's worth, my opinion is that an honestly arrived at contract is "an end".
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Simon100 View Post

You need to ensure both you and HMRC are in agreement you have paid in full and final settlement. You may consider you have settled but HMRC may take a different view. Whenever you settle, you need it confirmed in writing from HMRC that they agree you have settled.

Speaking from personal experience, I had an agreement with HMRC regarding settling a tax dispute but then they reneged on their end of the deal. We ended up going around the houses again.

Comment

Working...
        X