• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC not received my letter of offer to settle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC not received my letter of offer to settle

So at the start of sept I signed and emailed off my letter of offer to settle.
    A few weeks later I received a letter from HMRC stating there was an error on the letter (not figures) and that I would need to sign and resend which I did yesterday morning.

Having just called in and spoke to an advisor I was told the email is not showing on my account and that I should resend. I stated the fact that as the deadline is tomorrow where do I stand? Advisor didn’t have a clue.

I have resent the email again (3rd time) and also stated what time I called in and who I spoke to. I will call again tomorrow!

What happens if they have not uploaded the email/letter of offer on to my account before the 30th deadline? Needless Extra head ache which I don’t need.

Originally posted by Steve1 View Post
    So at the start of sept I signed and emailed off my letter of offer to settle.
    A few weeks later I received a letter from HMRC stating there was an error on the letter (not figures) and that I would need to sign and resend which I did yesterday morning.

Having just called in and spoke to an advisor I was told the email is not showing on my account and that I should resend. I stated the fact that as the deadline is tomorrow where do I stand? Advisor didn’t have a clue.

I have resent the email again (3rd time) and also stated what time I called in and who I spoke to. I will call again tomorrow!

What happens if they have not uploaded the email/letter of offer on to my account before the 30th deadline? Needless Extra head ache which I don’t need.
    very similar situation to me. i've sent a few letters, and 3 days ago received a letter stating we haven't heard back to the 18th of August deadline that they sent me. Which is doing nothing for my blood pressure, especially when i ring up and state i want to settle right now. Provide details...and they tell me they need it in writing etc.

Comment

Guaranteed next day delivery by post when dealing with HMRC. Costs 6 quid but you get that back if not delivered as stated. Dont depend on email with them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJackiels View Post
        very similar situation to me. i've sent a few letters, and 3 days ago received a letter stating we haven't heard back to the 18th of August deadline that they sent me. Which is doing nothing for my blood pressure, especially when i ring up and state i want to settle right now. Provide details...and they tell me they need it in writing etc.
        I’ve qctually agreed all the figures and payment plan... just need them to seal it. Took me 45 mins getting through to them today... and it looks like I’m gonna have to waste more time tomorrow.

Have u agreed your figures or still going through that?

Comment

Registered post, signed for, only and ever. It's stupid not to. This is too important. Before sending anything, ask yourself - "If they claim not to have received this, what could happen?".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I’ve qctually agreed all the figures and payment plan... just need them to seal it. Took me 45 mins getting through to them today... and it looks like I’m gonna have to waste more time tomorrow.

Have u agreed your figures or still going through that?
            Yes. All agreed. I just had one outstanding question.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Registered post, signed for, only and ever. It's stupid not to. This is too important. Before sending anything, ask yourself - "If they claim not to have received this, what could happen?".
              Ok. Let me rephrase. The letter was delivered. The numptee on the phone has stated that he can’t see it against my file. Which isn’t much use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                Guaranteed next day delivery by post when dealing with HMRC. Costs 6 quid but you get that back if not delivered as stated. Dont depend on email with them.
                When I spoke to them on the phone they suggested I email as it was getting close to the cut off date.
                Having email them on a fair few occasions before I’ve not had a problem.
                Even on this occasion I’ve had a auto reply back stating email has been received.

Comment

HMRC changed my address in the system

Not by any instruction from me, but apparently the computer 'automatically' did it. All previous correspondence was directed to my home address as per normal, but I have not recieved at least 3 letters dating back to April 2020. I only found this out when i called yesterday after Phil Manley had left me in the lurch, went underground, and i was trying to find out what progress was made on my behalf. So the settlement process has not started for me and now they say i need to declare, which I discovered for myself was a LOT MORE MONEY than the settlement option (PM was supposed to calculate that for me but.....see above). I have asked HMRC for a few days extension to get the letters re-sent to me, sort this out and agree the settlement figure but they say the request will be passed on to someone else who will look at it. I am advised by ETC tax that they wont do any extensions. Anyone else have any idea, experience with this?

Comment

When I spoke to them on the phone they suggested I email as it was getting close to the cut off date.
                    Having email them on a fair few occasions before I’ve not had a problem.
                    Even on this occasion I’ve had a auto reply back stating email has been received.
                    Yes, HMRC would say that. Who's on the hook without any proof of receipt? It's a belt and braces job with HMRC. If sending critical papers to them by all means use email but follow that up with hard copy signed for delivery.

As I said, if it's last minute, use Royal Mail Guaranteed Next Day Delivery. It's 6 and a bit quid (saturday delivery is a bit more I think!) and signed for on delivery by the recipient. If it doesnt get delivered 'next day' you get your money back but it is very rare it isnt delivered as per.

If you have a week, then 1st class registered is good enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X