Really need advice as just discovered I was in a loan scheme and have 6 hours left Really need advice as just discovered I was in a loan scheme and have 6 hours left
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Still gathering requirements...

Default Really need advice as just discovered I was in a loan scheme and have 6 hours left

Hi - my apologies for the desperateness and outrageous stupidity on my part. I feel really embarrassed writing for help.

Long story short, after thinking I may have been involved with a loan scheme two years ago I got advice from an accountant who said I wasn't. It turns out I probably was as HMRC have sent about 2 letters - last one in August (which I just opened) saying I need to declare the loans by the 30th September. Its an even longer story to explain why I've only seen them now.

To sum up the issue - I am struggling to find the amount of the loans as I did not receive wage slips for them rather, I received pay slips for a wage (which I have) and received a loan. The loans should be less than £10,000 in both the tax years I was on this loan scheme and I was told this means the loans are exempt if under £10,000? I think this is not the case.

A further confusing thing is this - my actual salary was £975 per week however how it worked was I was paid £285 a week (some NI and TAX deducted) plus I received a loan of approx £550 per week. This works out to be £835 - £140 less than what I earned! I assume the agency just pocketed the £140.

My actual take home from this loan scheme was about £60 a week extra but if I state the loan as being £550 this means I'll end up paying more tax than I would if I wasn't on the scheme (I genuinely thought the scheme was genuine).

I am so confused made worse by the fact I do not have all of the loan amounts I received?

I am deeply worried and not sure what to do - sorry for posting this.

I am trying to work out what I owe but I cannot find the loans. The HMRC loan charge site asks me to enter in the loan amounts but I have no way of finding how much although I can give an approximate value - sadly HMRC are closed so I cannot speak to them for help or agree anything and this needs to be in by midnight (I though I had tomorrow to do this also).

My salary was £975 but I only received £285 wage and approximately a 550 loan. Should I just calculate the tax and NI on the 550 loan or on the £835?

Should post faster

And you left it until virtually every professional advisor has closed for the day and gone home.

Sorry I cannot offer any help but leaving things until the last moment has compounded your problem.

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
    My salary was £975 but I only received £285 wage and approximately a 550 loan.
    £975 a week, a month, a day? Kind of important.

Assuming it's weekly, then that's a "loan" of £550 x 52.2 (weeks) x 2 years = £44,370.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Respect my authoritah!

My salary was £975 but I only received £285 wage and approximately a 550 loan.
    £975 a week, a month, a day? Kind of important. Assuming it's weekly, then that's a "loan" of £550 x 52.2 (weeks) x 2 years = £44,370.

But I'm confused. You posted this from 12th August 2018, 10:21, so it looks to me like you haven't "only seen this now".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    £975 a week, a month, a day? Kind of important.

Assuming it's weekly, then that's a "loan" of £550 x 52.2 (weeks) x 2 years = £44,370.
    Hi mate. My salary was £975 per week. However I received a payslip for £285 (after deductions about £235) and a loan of £550. So was paid approx £785 or about £60 more than PAYE.

I was in this scheme for about 7 months. 3 months in 2017-2018 and 4 months 2018 -2019.

Total sum of loans are less than 10,000 for each tax year and I was told this made it exempt. I was also told by an accountant it didn’t get caught by the loan charge but HMRC think differently . I joined here in 2018 but after I was told by this accountant everything was ok I stopped thinking about it. I believe I got a letter for the first time back in April if this year regarding this. I’ve been away from home self isolating with a sick child since April - helping my partner. I found an unopened letter from August yesterday. No excuses though. My fault. I annoy myself.
    Last edited by Raymondo; 29th September 2020 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    And you left it until virtually every professional advisor has closed for the day and gone home.

Sorry I cannot offer any help but leaving things until the last moment has compounded your problem.
    I know. It’s embarrassing. I never learn.

I know. It’s embarrassing. I never learn.
    So just pay the £45K + £5K interest and job done

Get a bounce back loan and pay it over 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Super poster

Most advisers are not only closed but too busy to help.

use estimates and file what you can.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

bored now

Given as webberg says all advisors are going to be beyond busy today. You need figures which will be £550 for each week as that was the amount you received with no tax paid on it.

£550*13 (so £7150) for 17/18
    £550*16 (so £8800) for 18/19 - As there was 17 weeks between April 5th and the end of July less 1 week for bank holidays.

You really need to work out when you started working and finishing but if you have nothing else that is the figures you are looking at - just a touch under £16k in loans.
    Last edited by eek; 30th September 2020 at 06:49.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment