• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half way there....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half way there....

I have spent over three years stressed, and quite possibly depressed, about my tax situation.

It was a combination of self employment and disguised remuneration. All entirely my fault, of course. But if anything that just made me feel worse. My initial demand from hmrc was for over £90k and growing daily. Once I stopped burying my head in the sand (a visit from hmrc 3 weeks after I had my daughter got me out of the sand, but made me feel no better), I spent over three years trying to work out what to do. Countless calls, emails and letters to hmrc was getting me nowhere fast. £90k was dropped to £40k, and still no one could explain where that figure had come from - or even if it was the final figure.

Last month I had a call from hmrc. She talked me through everything, understood the situation and could tell me what was owed for each year, exactly what I needed to do and pay. I luckily had declared the disguised remuneration quite early. I finally had a direct number of someone who knew what they were talking about, and an email address for a real person that actually responded.

As of today I'm up to date. £12k paid, tax returns submitted (I've been paye since 2013 but got a demand for 18/19 tax return 3 months ago).

I just wanted to share with those that are maybe still in the middle of it, that it can improve. I had some very, very low points over the last few years. Every moment of joy had a shadow. Something good would happen and the feeling of happiness would spark something in me to remind myself what deep tulip I was in. Like I didn't deserve the happiness.
    My wedding day, birth of my girls, christmas, birthdays. There was no good moment that wasn't immediately followed by a feeling of dread. My husband is only recently aware of the extent, but I'll never share how it's made me feel.

I'm very fortunate that I was in the position to keep back some equity from our recent house move to pay what I owed, I appreciate not everyone will be in that position.

Obviously the demands for loan repayment, of a loan that there is no evidence that actually exist (I'm not keen on giving my details to them to access doctored documents online), are halting the celebrations slightly. I'm trying to work out the best next steps for that. My first step is requesting my P11Ds from hmrc to see what it actually says - these schemes liked to keep everything online, so I have nothing. But they don't scare me quite as much as hmrc.

Originally posted by dh1981 View Post
    I have spent over three years stressed, and quite possibly depressed, about my tax situation.

It was a combination of self employment and disguised remuneration. All entirely my fault, of course. But if anything that just made me feel worse. My initial demand from hmrc was for over £90k and growing daily. Once I stopped burying my head in the sand (a visit from hmrc 3 weeks after I had my daughter got me out of the sand, but made me feel no better), I spent over three years trying to work out what to do. Countless calls, emails and letters to hmrc was getting me nowhere fast. £90k was dropped to £40k, and still no one could explain where that figure had come from - or even if it was the final figure.

Last month I had a call from hmrc. She talked me through everything, understood the situation and could tell me what was owed for each year, exactly what I needed to do and pay. I luckily had declared the disguised remuneration quite early. I finally had a direct number of someone who knew what they were talking about, and an email address for a real person that actually responded.

As of today I'm up to date. £12k paid, tax returns submitted (I've been paye since 2013 but got a demand for 18/19 tax return 3 months ago).

I just wanted to share with those that are maybe still in the middle of it, that it can improve. I had some very, very low points over the last few years. Every moment of joy had a shadow. Something good would happen and the feeling of happiness would spark something in me to remind myself what deep tulip I was in. Like I didn't deserve the happiness.
    My wedding day, birth of my girls, christmas, birthdays. There was no good moment that wasn't immediately followed by a feeling of dread. My husband is only recently aware of the extent, but I'll never share how it's made me feel.

I'm very fortunate that I was in the position to keep back some equity from our recent house move to pay what I owed, I appreciate not everyone will be in that position.

Obviously the demands for loan repayment, of a loan that there is no evidence that actually exist (I'm not keen on giving my details to them to access doctored documents online), are halting the celebrations slightly. I'm trying to work out the best next steps for that. My first step is requesting my P11Ds from hmrc to see what it actually says - these schemes liked to keep everything online, so I have nothing. But they don't scare me quite as much as hmrc.
    How can it improve? Today is the last day for re-submitting the 2018/19 tax return to declare the loans. If people haven't entered into settlement by now then, as far as I understand it, they are tulip out of luck and it's too late to get any tax advice as the advisers who have been dealing with loan charge clients for months if not years already as balls to the wall busy. I'm glad you've come to some resolution with HMRC that you can live with but for many it's simply too late now. The loan charge is upon them.

Comment

Look, I'm not saying it's perfect or that I was happy to pay £12k I didn't think I owed. But it's a great deal better than the life I was living before.

I was lucky that I was in a position to set aside money when we moved house, and I set aside a little more than was needed (didn't know the amount owed at the time). But I'd rather have spent that money on a bigger house or a smaller mortgage, a new bathroom or on a much needed bigger car. I'd rather be able to afford a full year maternity leave. But I had to make sacrifices, and some people will have to sacrifice much more than I have.

For a lot of people it won't be over yet. But there will be a day when this isn't ruining your life. I hope you find a way to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by dh1981 View Post
        Look, I'm not saying it's perfect or that I was happy to pay £12k I didn't think I owed. But it's a great deal better than the life I was living before.

I was lucky that I was in a position to set aside money when we moved house, and I set aside a little more than was needed (didn't know the amount owed at the time). But I'd rather have spent that money on a bigger house or a smaller mortgage, a new bathroom or on a much needed bigger car. I'd rather be able to afford a full year maternity leave. But I had to make sacrifices, and some people will have to sacrifice much more than I have.

For a lot of people it won't be over yet. But there will be a day when this isn't ruining your life. I hope you find a way to get there.
        It’s not ruining my life and for all those ostriches finally pulling their heads out the sand the loan charge is just starting. It won’t be a case of not doing up the bathroom or buying a slightly smaller house for many of those people because their liability is probably an order of magnitude or two greater than yours.
        Last edited by LOL17; 1 October 2020, 06:26.

Comment

Working...
        X