How can I check if I have a Protected year? How can I check if I have a Protected year?
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Nervous Newbie

Default How can I check if I have a Protected year?

I am unclear whether I have any HMRC "Protected" years. I don't recall having received any letters indicating a year is under assessment or Protected.
    I'm unclear on how to confirm. I checked my previous self assessment years online via the government gateway, self assessment. All my listed years for the last ~20 years didn't seem to indicate a year is Protected. -no online messages or notifications suggesting an issue.

Is this the best way to check if I have a protected year? If not how can I better confirm whether I have any Protected years please?

Contractor Among Contractors

I'm not sure there is any way to check this online.

You could write to HMRC (submit a subject access request) and ask them to provide copies of any S9A enquiry and S29 Assessment notices that they've issued to you.

Tread carefully though if you have scheme years which are still within the time limits for them to protect.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    I'm not sure there is any way to check this online.

You could write to HMRC (submit a subject access request) and ask them to provide copies of any S9A enquiry and S29 Assessment notices that they've issued to you.

Tread carefully though if you have scheme years which are still within the time limits for them to protect.
    and make sure you ask the right question. I asked for a SAR and they sent me half the info omitting various communications and stating they did not have to provide it