• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoey - Court of Appeal legal fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
    Who, Eek, is “we” as in “we are literally left with recommending WTT”.

And given that you’ve had so much to say about so much it is absolutely astonishing that you don’t even know why the Transfer of Assets Abroad provisions are important.

It is, after all, only vital to the question of whether or not HMRC can tax individuals without recourse to their PAYE arguments (as they would be able to under Lancashire despite the FTT finding re s684(7A)). For clarity, IF there is income of the person abroad & those provisions are held to apply (as in Lancashire) then that too scuppers the whole BG strategy before it starts.

Might I therefore suggest that you spend less time on here pontificating on these issues and drumming up business for someone in case people listen to you in the mistaken belief that you have a basic understanding of what you’re talking about?

Oh, and for the record, again, I get absolutely nothing out of anything raised for Mr Hoey.
    For we - assume myself and the mods on this site.

As for the rest - you are asking for people without tax and legal expertise who have put their faith in another expert because they don't understand the finer details (and this is not about fine details it's about tiny minutia) to give someone else money as this case will solve all (or at least some of their problems for them). Yet no one has at any point in this thread explained why it's so important in words a none expert can understand. Heck, I've had difficulty working out what the case will decide upon as you haven't explained any of it.

And at long last in that post you are finally starting to explain things in a way that I think people may be able to understand. Now it's still not clear enough (and the personal insults are getting beyond annoying) so perhaps you could explain to others why HMRC are trying to tax individuals directly without recourse to their PAYE arguments.

Throughout all this I'm merely trying to get you to do what you should have done here in the first place - which is to assume people have zero knowledge and provide an explanation in very simple terms on why they should be giving this case their money. And until now you've completely failed to do that.
    Last edited by eek; 2 December 2020, 16:34.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Nope - I'm usually here as I'm avoiding doing something I don't want to do (which today is calling umbrella firms and flogging them a new service).

And I actually don't like any tax adviser firm but given that every other one has fallen by the wayside, we are literally left with recommending WTT because ETC have seemingly completely screwed up anyone they "helped" with Felicitas (hmm I wonder why Steve Match recommended them so much), and exactly what did happened to the previous great white hope on this forum a certain Mr Phil Manley?

Basically the entire Tax avoidance industry is a nest of vipers that people have got involved in due to a combination of greed and a desire for a quick fix while ignoring difficult questions and answers.

Oh and would you care to guess who Steve Match actually worked for...
      But why are you recommending WTT/BG?

Many years ago I'd assumed from reading webberg's posts on here that BG was a negotiated settlement with HMRC on favourable terms.

I called to find out more and was told details couldn't be revealed, but nothing in the call with Rhys made me think it wasn't what I thought it was. So I ended up joining (for a fee of a few hundred pounds I think) and was quite startled to then discover it was about fighting back in court; I distinctly remember feeling somewhat duped into joining.

The BG forum was very handy though and I was pleased to have somewhere I could turn to get advice from. I was asked to contribute thousands to join the resolution strategy but I never believed in it enough to join, it always seemed too wishy washy for me - all based on trust, a monthly newsletter saying all was progressing, but no substance in my eyes, lots of talk of barristers but no formal legal opinions provided to members etc. It was simply too opaque for me. Plus I could never get my head around how they could somehow litigate the hundreds of schemes that members are part of (which are all slightly different).

The years slipped by and in that time I learnt that if I had a question, I was more likely to get an answer on here from Webberg than by emailing WTT directly, which after a while started to annoy me. Webberg's posts here seemed to deliberately be to obfuscate and gain new business (e.g. the whole settlement is not an end to it argument that went on some years back) whilst on the BG forum the same questions were answered differently (e.g. settling will bring things to a conclusion). The mixed and inconsistent messaging frustrated me as it made it hard to know which side to believe.

Getting actual personal advice was almost impossible; because BG openly don't do that. e.g. try asking anything about a specific trust. Over the years, nothing visibly progressed that I could see, the monthly fees were adding up and it just became duplicate conversations on the BG forum and here; with lots of anonymous cross talk between the two. So even the forum seemed expensive.

More contributions were asked for on a few occasions for the resolution strategy, for thousands each time I think, but I remained out of that and I increasingly saw BG as being a money milking machine. I could see them growing, employing more people, venturing into IR35 advice, starting an umbrella company, a legal arm etc. I assumed all using funds being paid to WTT via BG; how else are they earning anything significant?

Then LCAG split out of BG, due to what it seemed to me to be to be a frustration with inaction on the part of WTT and BG. They achieved astonishing results and unbelievably as a result I fell out of scope of the LC myself. Suddenly I was mostly out of it all.

In my opinion, BG is definitely in cult territory, you can't criticise anything they do without being jumped on by fan boys and members just have to have faith, believe and keep paying. WTT/BG play the hero, saviour card when in fact they have just found a nice little earner. I suspect it will run for some more years, people will drop by the wayside and eventually it will all tumble at some point in court. In all these years, the only thing they have to show for all that BG money is the company they have built with it. There seems to be nothing else, at least not that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
        But why are you recommending WTT/BG?
        Because if someone comes along with a tax problem - who else can we suggest?

Phil Manley?

Etc (who may or may not have screwed people by acting as a stooge for Felicitas while providing legal advice they may not have been authorised to provide)?

Can you see the problem?

And equally if I didn't actually check this forum and post exactly who else would - this forum isn't actually full of helpful people, most people here seem far happier insulting people who aren't part of their "gang" be it Big Group or those fundraising for Hoey.
        Last edited by eek; 2 December 2020, 16:41.

Comment

Phil Manley?

Etc (who may or may not have screwed people by acting as a stooge for Felicitas while providing legal advice they may not have been authorised to provide)?

Can you see the problem?

And equally if I didn't actually check this forum and post exactly who else would - this forum isn't actually full of helpful people, most people here seem far happier insulting people who aren't part of their "gang" be it Big Group or those fundraising for Hoey.
          What more has WTT done that the others haven't done? They are pretty good at keeping their clients in a holding pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly View Post
            What more has WTT done that the others haven't done? They are pretty good at keeping their clients in a holding pattern.
            Do you have a phone number for Phil Manley? Given what I've said about ETC could you actually suggest to someone that they should use them?

You may dislike WTT so thank you for volunteering to answer all future "HMRC have sent me a letter" posts - I look forward to your responses and recommendations of other experts you can also find on google who will spend 30 minutes (for free) telling them what happened and what they need to do to fix it.

Oh and by the way you are doing a really bad job of explaining to people (especially Big Group members) why they should be giving Hoey money to continue their case.

Comment

Phil Manley?

Can you see the problem?

Oh yes, I fell for the Phil Manley trap also. I paid him £500 I think for absolutely nothing of any value in return, other than some failed promises - plus a notice that his email account had been hacked and all the confidential information I'd sent him could have been taken!

But other than because everyone else you know is rubbish why are you actually recommending WTT/BG?

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                Oh yes, I fell for the Phil Manley trap also. I paid him £500 I think for absolutely nothing of any value in return, other than some failed promises - plus a notice that his email account had been hacked and all the confidential information I'd sent him could have been taken!

But other than because everyone else you know is rubbish why are you actually recommending WTT/BG?
                Because we don't have any other options and I personally think it's better to sign post desperate people somewhere rather than not offering any help at all.

After all look at this thread - it should contain a simple explanation of the Hoey case, why it's important, what points it will decide and from that what schemes will be impacted by the decision. Given that information it would be possible for people to read a single post and decide whether it's worth contributing or not.

Instead we have a lot of people insulting WTT, Big Group and it's members and when I started to point that out the same posters decided to start attacking me instead - heck even though all I've done is point out that insulting the people you want money from may not be the best idea and asking questions to get elaborations on why the case is important. And even when we start to get those elaborations they are attached to insults and irrelevant (to the Hoey appeal) questions that merely reflect a certain set of posters hatred of Webberg and WTT.

And very quickly the questions get ignored while the irrelevant attacks continue

Meanwhile I've made £1500 from an automated sideline business (see why I don't have an incentive to make sales calls) and the fundraising total has increased by precisely £0.

Being blunt the people on this site trying to get people to donate money to the Hoey case are their own worst enemies - stop attacking WTT and explain in simple terms what the Hoey case will determine and why it is so important.
                Last edited by eek; 2 December 2020, 17:11.

Comment

Meanwhile I've made £1500 from an automated sideline business
                  Is that from WTT/BG referral commissions?

<runs away>

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Is that from WTT/BG referral commissions?

<runs away>
                    As that really isn't going to help anyone here - the sideline is being just about the only person in the country with a decent supply of Nvidia 3080s (thanks to some bots that can purchase stock from Amazon as soon as it hits their systems).

Comment

Do you have a phone number for Phil Manley? Given what I've said about ETC could you actually suggest to someone that they should use them?

You may dislike WTT so thank you for volunteering to answer all future "HMRC have sent me a letter" posts - I look forward to your responses and recommendations of other experts you can also find on google who will spend 30 minutes (for free) telling them what happened and what they need to do to fix it.

Oh and by the way you are doing a really bad job of explaining to people (especially Big Group members) why they should be giving Hoey money to continue their case.
                      You still don't get it do you? Regardless of how other advisers are helping (or, not helping) clients, why should people go to WTT when they have also been equally sterile, inert and fruitless in their approach to resolving legacy tax issues that they promised their clients.

Do people go to WTT because everyone else is doing nothing so go to WTT, who will also do nothing and charge £15 + VAT for the privilege??

Why should people go to WTT? What are they doing? Is it so secretive that even their clients don't know.

Comment

Working...
                      X