• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoey - Court of Appeal legal fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope you accuse me of recruiting or referring people to them - I don't and very much resent the accusation that I do.

And the use of the word referring on an internet site does carry the connotation that I'm paid for it and that is not the case which is why I take explicit dislike to all those allegations - especially when you have whole heartedly failed over the first 13 pages to do either of the things I wanted from this thread which were

1) I clear lay man explanation of what the actual issue and why it's important for people to contribute towards the campaign (using simple terms without expecting a lot of prior knowledge).
    2) Given that you passionately hate WTT other companies we can refer people to.
    Your own words earlier in this thread eek "I will continue to point people to webberg". You also say that you tell people to speak with him.

For someone with no skin in the game (not having used these schemes) you have spent a lot of time and effort to "point people to webberg", defended WTT, removed statements about their strategy (which you evidently don't understand) from posts with which you disagree and now deny that you refer people to them.

We can argue about the semantic difference between "point to" and "refer" all day but you none of your posts have helped anyone with pre DR loans and so I will leave others to ponder the merit and motive of your interventions.

Comment

Locked for the rest of the day.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm going to add this here in case people find this thread via google and don't read the other threads

Since this page was closed last week the following facts have been confirmed

1) The gofundme campaign is raising money for an appeal that may not actually be allowed (that's taken me 2 weeks of questioning before finally someone acknowledged that any subsequent appeal may be disallowed).
        2) Any donations to that campaign cannot be refunded so if you donate money to it you must accept the fact that the money might be used for other purposes.

So while I can understand why people want to raise the money now - be warned that they haven't exactly been honest in presenting the risks related to their campaign while attacking everyone else in the industry.
        Last edited by eek; 10 December 2020, 08:27.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm going to add this here in case people find this thread via google and don't read the other threads

1) The gofundme campaign is raising money for an appeal that may not actually be allowed (that's taken me 2 weeks of questioning before finally someone acknowledged that any subsequent appeal may be disallowed).
          2) Any donations to that campaign cannot be refunded so if you donate money to it you must accept the fact that the money might be used for other purposes.

So while I can understand why people want to raise the money now - be warned that they haven't exactly been honest in presenting the risks related to their campaign while attacking everyone else in the industry.
          And so I am forced to return because it is pointed out to me via other mediums that the the usual apologists are spreading more misinformation.

1. All appeals need permission. Whether from FTT, UT etc. Given the very wide implications of HMRCs arguments re discretion the chance of permission being refused (for either side) is negligible and certainly better than any appeal which argues that the self employed were actually employed all along. For example.

2. This is an outright lie. I’ve made clear that any contributions to the GoFundMe page will be returned if no withdrawals are made by 16 March 2021. They are the GoFundMe conditions. A withdrawal will only be made if there is enough funding to proceed with an appeal.

Need, please stop posting rubbish about stuff you have amply demonstrated you don’t understand and I promise I won’t return.

Comment

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
            And so I am forced to return because it is pointed out to me via other mediums that the the usual apologists are spreading more misinformation.

1. All appeals need permission. Whether from FTT, UT etc. Given the very wide implications of HMRCs arguments re discretion the chance of permission being refused (for either side) is negligible and certainly better than any appeal which argues that the self employed were actually employed all along. For example.

2. This is an outright lie. I’ve made clear that any contributions to the GoFundMe page will be returned if no withdrawals are made by 16 March 2021. They are the GoFundMe conditions. A withdrawal will only be made if there is enough funding to proceed with an appeal.

Need, please stop posting rubbish about stuff you have amply demonstrated you don’t understand and I promise I won’t return.
            Regarding point 2 please show me exactly where that is stated on both the appeal and on GoFundMe's website - as let me emphasis this again

On the other thread I quoted and linked directly to the appropriate GoFundMe's pages, FAQs and documentation that tell people how gofundme collects money and what is and isn't possible yet you are explicitly not doing so while telling people the exact opposite of the information contained within GoFundme's own pages.

But given that you are so confident that the money can be refunded perhaps you could tell me how it will work so I can tear that argument apart - credit card regulations are something I know far too much about having been part of the people trying back in 1996/8 to allow online betting firms to use them.

So given the fact that the assertions you are making in point 2 are provable FALSE why should we take the assertions you make in point 1 to be actual facts.
            Last edited by eek; 10 December 2020, 10:45.

Comment

Regarding point 2 please show me exactly where that is stated on both the appeal and on GoFundMe's website - as let me emphasis this again

On the other thread I quoted and linked directly to the appropriate GoFundMe's pages, FAQs and documentation that tell people how gofundme collects money and what is and isn't possible yet you are explicitly not doing so while telling people the exact opposite of the information contained within GoFundme's own pages.

But given that you are so confident that the money can be refunded perhaps you could tell me how it will work so I can tear that argument apart - credit card regulations are something I know far too much about having been part of the people trying back in 1996/8 to allow online betting firms to use them.
              So you’re not a tax expert? My bad, from all your posts here I had assumed you were.

Below is the text of an email direct from GoFundMe which says exactly what I’ve said above.

I would post a photo of it or send to to on to whoever wishes to see it to verify the veracity of the email. Look forward to you demonstrating your towering intellect once more......

Please note: you must set up withdrawals before 16 March 2021 or donations will be refunded

Currently, you have a balance that has not been withdrawn. If withdrawals are not set up before 16 March 2021, all donations to your GoFundMe campaign will be refunded.

Bear in mind that withdrawing funds will not affect your fundraiser at all. Your fundraiser's "Total Amount Raised" meter will stay the same and you can continue accepting donations for as long as you like.

If you need any help, please see our step-by-step withdrawal set-up guide. If you are raising money for someone else, have a look at our beneficiary guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
                So you’re not a tax expert? My bad, from all your posts here I had assumed you were.

Below is the text of an email direct from GoFundMe which says exactly what I’ve said above.

I would post a photo of it or send to to on to whoever wishes to see it to verify the veracity of the email. Look forward to you demonstrating your towering intellect once more......

Please note: you must set up withdrawals before 16 March 2021 or donations will be refunded

Currently, you have a balance that has not been withdrawn. If withdrawals are not set up before 16 March 2021, all donations to your GoFundMe campaign will be refunded.

Bear in mind that withdrawing funds will not affect your fundraiser at all. Your fundraiser's "Total Amount Raised" meter will stay the same and you can continue accepting donations for as long as you like.

If you need any help, please see our step-by-step withdrawal set-up guide. If you are raising money for someone else, have a look at our beneficiary guide.
                So put that on the page as at the moment it doesn't actually say that - it SAYS and I quote the entire page

I am a former contractor caught up in the "Loan Charge" scandal.

Many individuals who received loans before 9 Dec 2010 incorrectly believe that as the Loan Charge no longer applies, HMRC cannot and will not tax them. This is false comfort.

HMRC is continuing to pursue income tax (and NIC) from me and thousands of others with 'open' years - those with existing enquiries or discovery assessments.

I have acted as a 'lead case' and appealed those demands to the First Tier Tax Tribunal ('FTT') (heard in July 2019 ) and to the Upper Tribunal in October 2020. Funds used to meet the costs of those appeals have now been exhausted.

There are three key issues under appeal that will have wide implications for the many thousands of taxpayers being pursued by HMRC for tax on 'pre-DR' arrangements.

1) HMRC's ability to exercise a claimed discretion to recover PAYE from individuals that ought to have been deducted by the employer/end user/agency (notwithstanding that HMRC did not carry out the necessary steps to protect its position within the statutory time limits).

2). The availability of a credit to contractors for the PAYE that employers/end users/agencies ought to have deducted (it matters not which).

3) The application of the Transfer of Assets Abroad legislation to income received by the (offshore) employer which HMRC asserts contractors had a 'power to enjoy'.

The FTT found that the income of the person abroad was nil for these purposes.

These issues were argued before Judge Raghavan and Mr Justice Johnson in the Upper Tribunal in October 2020. The decision of the Upper Tribunal is awaited.

Whilst my legal team is cautiously optimistic of victory we all expect HMRC to appeal in the event that we succeed. As I wish to in the event that HMRC's arguments prevail in the Upper Tribunal.

This page therefore seeks to raise funds for any such appeal.

A letter sent by my solicitors, RPC, to my tax advisor setting out those costs can be accessed here:

RPC letter re costs

All funds raised will be remitted to RPC

No other parties will be paid from the funds raised.

I am being assisted by my tax advisor, Matt Hall, on a pro bono basis. He does not charge me for his own assistance.

If funds raised exceed the costs of the appeal (for example if the appeal is successful and I am able to recover some of my own legal costs), any surplus will be contributed to MIND in recognition of the mental health issues many facing HMRC's pursuit of taxes not properly due from them have suffered.
                So once again can you show me where that refund information is actually shown on a page within GoFundMe's website paying particular attention to the appeal page itself see the quote above (for it really should be there given what you are claiming).
                Last edited by eek; 10 December 2020, 10:56.

Comment

So given the fact that the assertions you are making in point 2 are provable FALSE why should we take the assertions you make in point 1 to be actual facts.
                  Seems you are provably false. Spending all your time here but ignoring the elephant.

Your last post is beyond pathetic.

Comment

So put that on the page as at the moment it doesn't actually say that - it SAYS and I quote the entire page

So once again can you show me where that information is actually shown on a page within GoFundMe's website or even on in the quote above (for it really should be there given what you are claiming).

And as you can't I do believe that I have called you out appropriately.
                    You tell yourself whatever lies you want to make yourself feel better eek. This thread is here for all to read together with your other posts. I’m more than content for people to make their own mind up about you and your motives.

Comment

eek & MODs, Since the statement above is clearly false and potentially liables, please consider removing altogether.

Comment

Working...
                      X