• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC about umbrella company used in the past

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I4group seem fine although their explanations aren't much use - the fee one is badly explained beyond the fact it's a percentage that maximises at £28 a week.

IPS gives me slightly more fears though as that director lives in the IoM and the number of companies he has is oh boy

And assuming you are talking about Income Plus Administration their calculator is promising the impossible - On £400 a day it claims to give you £1353.37 which is about £150 more than it should be.
    Actually I'm not even that sure of I4 group now I've had a second look...

I really, really hate this side of the industry but at least I've got further proof as to how useless Professional Passport actually is.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It sounds like she needs to get away from the current umbrella company and sign up with a more reputable one. She needs to be aware that this may result in a drop in income but at least she'll be legit and her exposure reduced.

Some agencies have a list of umbrellas that they will accept. Ask her to get that list and share it here and we'll help pick a better one. If they don't have a PSL then Lucy at Clarity will help. She runs a reputable outfit.

She'll get some good guidance from Webberg's company about her options etc. wrt the letter from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It sounds like she needs to get away from the current umbrella company and sign up with a more reputable one. She needs to be aware that this may result in a drop in income but at least she'll be legit and her exposure reduced.

Some agencies have a list of umbrellas that they will accept. Ask her to get that list and share it here and we'll help pick a better one. If they don't have a PSL then Lucy at Clarity will help. She runs a reputable outfit.

She'll get some good guidance from Webberg's company about her options etc. wrt the letter from HMRC.
        Even if they do have a PSL - given the agencies she's currently using a don't think the rest of the list is going to be much better.

If you have a choice Orca are also very good, Adam Holby of Fair pay services is also very careful doing things correctly.

Comment

Number is 020 3468 0000 as Graham didn't write it down.
          Pretty sure that Graham is not allowed to.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Before getting any formal advice, she should just check her payslips to check what deductions have been made. In particular, what Tax and NI has been paid?

Post a summary of the payslips here (redacted personal details and amounts, of course) would allow others to help in this regard.
            Payslip summary for current umbrella

Earnings(hourly) 501.40
            Holiday pay: 162.27
            Bonus(Dpsg): 843.09
            Total earnings: 1506.76

Deductions
            Employees NIC: 104.37
            Paye: 252.60
            Total deductions: 356.97
            Net pay 1149.79

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Pretty sure that Graham is not allowed to.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Taxissues View Post

Earnings(hourly) 501.40

Deductions
                Net pay 1149.79
                What is the interval?

Weekly, fortnightly, monthly?
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  We offer a free 30 minute initial call.

Contact our main number and one of my colleagues will arrange a conversation.

Ask for a date/time with Graham
                  Thanks, will get her to book a date and time, and I’ll be in the conversation, as well, if you don’t mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Taxissues View Post

Earnings(hourly) 501.40

Deductions
                    Net pay 1149.79
                    Assuming weekly based on the hourly earnings (minimum wage is £8.70 so it can't be for longer than a week).

That doesn't look right to me. - NIC is right but the PAYE Tax doesn't - it's about £100 too low but that depends on tax code.
                    Last edited by eek; 18 November 2020, 17:14.

Comment

Even if they do have a PSL - given the agencies she's currently using a don't think the rest of the list is going to be much better.

If you have a choice Orca are also very good, Adam Holby of Fair pay services is also very careful doing things correctly.
                      I'm hoping there's a least worst option if they do enforce a PSL.

Comment

Working...
                      X