Letter from HMRC about umbrella company used in the past Letter from HMRC about umbrella company used in the past - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Assuming weekly based on the hourly earnings (minimum wage is £8.70 so it can't be for longer than a week).

    That doesn't look right to me. - NIC is right but the PAYE Tax doesn't - it's about £100 too low but that depends on tax code.
    Gross pay is £1,506.

    PA - assuming not used elsewhere - is £12,500 a year or around £240 a week.

    Taxable pay therefore £1,266.

    Basic Rate Tax is £253.60.

    Not a million miles away?
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  2. #32

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    Gross pay is £1,506.

    PA - assuming not used elsewhere - is £12,500 a year or around £240 a week.

    Taxable pay therefore £1,266.

    Basic Rate Tax is £253.60.

    Not a million miles away?
    £1506 per week gives me a annual gross wage of £69,000 or so (as holiday pay is included so I will assume 4 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays) - which is well over the basic rate - we are looking at £19,000 which should be being taxed at 40% not 20%.

    Now we have seen umbrellas in the past using emergency tax at 20% for a long period of time to pay an employee which may well be the case here and that didn't end up well (the person was presented with a £20k bill to pay) which is why I said the tax doesn't seem right - on my redone calculation it's £50 out rather than £100 though.
    Last edited by eek; 18th November 2020 at 17:47. Reason: screwed up how holidays were being done - it's better but I'm still not sure the tax being paid is correct
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #33

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    £1506 per week gives me a annual gross wage of £69,000 or so (as holiday pay is included so I will assume 4 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays) - which is well over the basic rate - we are looking at £19,000 which should be being taxed at 40% not 20%.

    Now we have seen umbrellas in the past using emergency tax at 20% for a long period of time to pay an employee which may well be the case here and that didn't end up well (the person was presented with a £20k bill to pay) which is why I said the tax really should be £300 or so (yes my £360 was high I forgot about the holiday bit but it's still quite enough).
    Yep - agreed.

    So the tax deduction is between £60 and £100 a week less than it might be.

    That might be accounted for by expenses - but very doubtful.

    There is no tax code via PAYE that gives a personal allowance and then taxes everything else at basic rate.

    Something quite odd here.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  4. #34

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    Yep - agreed.

    So the tax deduction is between £60 and £100 a week less than it might be.

    That might be accounted for by expenses - but very doubtful.

    There is no tax code via PAYE that gives a personal allowance and then taxes everything else at basic rate.

    Something quite odd here.
    Welcome to the dodgier side of the umbrella industry - and these aren't anywhere near the worst I've seen.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #35

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    I've previously written here about some of the bigger umbrellas to whom we sent the same data and received different "net" answers.

    The creative use of expenses and application of "emergency" codes was prevalent.

    Not a mention that a tax return submission would see more tax due.

    Perhaps the most worrying was the NIC treatment.

    There are some difficulties in working out the correct amount of employee and employer NIC where a job does not last a whole tax year. In particular giving effect to what is essentially the "nil NIC" value can be tricky.

    At least three of the umbrellas we tested solved that problem by ignoring the NIC free part and applying the rates the everything.

    I don't know if their subsequent returns to HMRC included the NIC free allowance (allowing them to pocket some of the NIC) or whether all the NIC was paid over.

    I do know that individuals were not advised that they should check their NIC position post year end and make a claim for a refund.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  6. #36

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Assuming weekly based on the hourly earnings (minimum wage is £8.70 so it can't be for longer than a week).

    That doesn't look right to me. - NIC is right but the PAYE Tax doesn't - it's about £100 too low but that depends on tax code.
    It’s for the week, the hours she’s worked, tax code is 1264L

  7. #37

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxissues View Post
    It’s for the week, the hours she’s worked, tax code is 1264L
    Actually, the pay has 2 time sheets covering 57 hours over 2 weeks, I think.
    Last edited by Taxissues; 18th November 2020 at 19:06.

  8. #38

    Permie Swiss (pending)

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    24,111

    Default

    While the high earners - well yes, it's crap. But the low earners getting shafted by these total tossers. I have to say I get very ticked off about that.



    So I propose the following tax law. Bring back the death penalty for people who promote schemes that exploit tax loopholes. Even amnesty would agree with that.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

  9. #39

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxissues View Post
    Actually, the pay has 2 time sheets covering 57 hours over 2 weeks, I think.
    In which case - that looks 100% right - the devil when it comes to umbrella calculations is very much in the detail.
    Last edited by eek; 18th November 2020 at 19:35.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  10. #40

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    In which case - that looks 100% right - the devil when it comes to umbrella calculations is very much in the detail.
    Ok, thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •