• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions for Tax advisors that can help newcomer posters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
    eek as you own the opening post perhaps you could add the list there, to save people having to read through loads of pages:

I believe so far we have:

Cobham Murphy (John Green)
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2837264
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2837409

Gilbert Tax
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2837383

Matt Hall or Gordon Berry
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2837150
    Matt Hall isn't in a position to help but is going to provide a guidance document
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Matt Hall isn't in a position to help but is going to provide a guidance document
      Can I thank ALL contributors to this thread for pulling together on this.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly View Post
        I'm not wholly convinced by Cobham Murphy. The were engaged circa 2012 by Contractor Helpdesk, which was a separate entity created by the same people who flogged the original schemes in the first place, in order to handle the barrage of incoming HMRC enquiries that were being raised en masse from the DOTAS declarations.

Cobham Murphy were happy enough to pocket some of the fighting fund for not much fighting back then. There were no regular updates at all as to how thing were progressing, if at all. People were asked not to even ring Cobham Murphy in order to avoid diverting them away from the important business of building our defence. They didn't end up doing anything to help the cause and people ended up no better off after a few years of being with them. I have no idea what they actually did, if anything at all. I did challenge them at the time but got the usual spiel.

Maybe some people have had a positive experience of using them but I thought the above is worth mentioning.
        Noted but they just having them in the list allows us to point people at 3 different providers rather than 1 and I think we can allow agree that's better than where we were this time yesterday.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or even just names of people you know who understand the issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
          I didn't come to these pages after a long break to drum up work or seek new clients. I don't want it to be perceived in that way. I returned solely to help Mr Hoey.

I will though draft a general guidance note over the next few days that can be posted here, FOC, for what those caught up in the Loan Charge (often inadvertently) following the off pay-rolling roll out to the public sector in 2017 and what warning signs to look for now.

I will DM it to you Eek so that you can post it wherever you think most suitable (if you think it helpful). If you haven't had it by close Monday remind me please!
          Post it and I'll sticky it.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Noted but they just having them in the list allows us to point people at 3 different providers rather than 1 and I think we can allow agree that's better than where we were this time yesterday.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or even just names of people you know who understand the issues?
            if we want that just google loan charge tax advisors. Bring up nealry a dozen who claim to have exprience or will help and from what I can see an undisclosed fee

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
              if we want that just google loan charge tax advisors. Bring up nealry a dozen who claim to have exprience or will help and from what I can see an undisclosed fee
              Even a list of none recommended firms is better than hitting google and going for the firm that offered the most for the click through...

Comment

Even a list of none recommended firms is better than hitting google and going for the firm that offered the most for the click through...
                that is genius, now you're saying no recommendation is better than a bad one I'm going to fall off my chair laughing. Is that not exactly what I've been saying for days and you've been hammering on about how you have to recommend someone? (you don't need to answer - yes it is!)

Comment

that is genius, now you're saying no recommendation is better than a bad one I'm going to fall off my chair laughing. Is that not exactly what I've been saying for days and you've been hammering on about how you have to recommend someone? (you don't need to answer - yes it is!)
                  You clearly haven't paid attention to the umbrella industry - the cowboys pay a fortune for clicks and adverts while legitimate firms can't afford it. A list of people to go is better than them going to google and clicking a top link for which they will be paying say £x a click (if an advert) or £10k for SEO work to be at the top of the list for the search term used.

Plus it's better to have a single list of names that we can then scrub people from rather than adding them later without that check.

And in my ideal world we would have a long list of firms with either recommendations, no comment or reasons not to use

But once again you criticise without thinking I may have a very valid reason for making the suggestion while demonstrating that you don't think hmm there may be a reason why he's suggesting that.
                  Last edited by eek; 4 December 2020, 18:02.

Comment

I list of people to go to is better than having them pay £30 (the current google rate) for you to click and visit their.
                    Err, what?! You seem to be having a minor misfunction.

Comment

Err, what?! You seem to be having a minor misfunction.
                      Read my full post and think for 30 seconds - oh and look at Superfly's post about Cobham Murphy. The reason he posted that is because someone else mentioned them in the thread.

Just by naming possible firms others will come up with reasons why we shouldn't list them or highlight areas they may not be any use for.
                      Last edited by eek; 4 December 2020, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X