• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AccountingWeb : HMRC and ASA join forces to fight tax avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AccountingWeb : HMRC and ASA join forces to fight tax avoidance

HMRC and ASA join forces to fight tax avoidance | AccountingWEB

HMRC and the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) launched a joint initiative designed to cut out dishonest marketing by promoters of tax avoidance schemes

See above link for full Article

Originally posted by eazy View Post
    HMRC and ASA join forces to fight tax avoidance | AccountingWEB

HMRC and the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) launched a joint initiative designed to cut out dishonest marketing by promoters of tax avoidance schemes

See above link for full Article
    HMRC have stated they have been doing this for a while. Quicker they take the adds down the quicker they come up. HMRC cannot police the internet its not possible. Nor can ASA really. Christ they cant even hold Facebook or Twitter to account. Most of these promotors email directly as well. That partnership is doomed to failure and more lip service to select committees to show they are trying albeit not very hard.

Interesting I listened to the Treasury select evidence on the LC on Monday and one gentleman made a great suggestion. Regulate the umbrella market and make sure all engagers are held responsible for making sure their contractors use one of the regulated Umbrella firms. When I did contracting the firm at the time recommended only half a dozen and said I had to use one of these. Didn't help 4 of them used EBT schemes but that was 12 years ago....

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
      HMRC have stated they have been doing this for a while. Quicker they take the adds down the quicker they come up. HMRC cannot police the internet its not possible. Nor can ASA really. Christ they cant even hold Facebook or Twitter to account. Most of these promotors email directly as well. That partnership is doomed to failure and more lip service to select committees to show they are trying albeit not very hard.

Interesting I listened to the Treasury select evidence on the LC on Monday and one gentleman made a great suggestion. Regulate the umbrella market and make sure all engagers are held responsible for making sure their contractors use one of the regulated Umbrella firms. When I did contracting the firm at the time recommended only half a dozen and said I had to use one of these. Didn't help 4 of them used EBT schemes but that was 12 years ago....
      There is no need to regulate the industry - if the contract is inside IR35 it's already the responsibility of the agency to ensure appropriate tax is paid.

Which means the agency needs to be 100% sure that all the payments are done correctly and regulation by itself doesn't give agencies that information it just gives them a cop out and means of passing the buck.
      Last edited by eek; 16 December 2020, 12:24.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        There is no need to regulate the industry - if the contract is inside IR35 it's already the responsibility of the agency to ensure appropriate tax is paid.

Which means the agency needs to be 100% sure that all the payments are done correctly and regulation by itself doesn't give agencies that information it just gives them a cop out and means of passing the buck.
        well agree to disagree but perhaps on responsibility. Not all contractor's have your knowledge of the industry and how it works. So reworded to say anyone outside IR35 and using an Umbrella needs to be told by their employer or agency they can only use a regulated Umbrella and those umbrellas must register with HMRC or a n other body and explain their practices. Will pretty much kill stone dead all the leeches.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
          well agree to disagree but perhaps on responsibility. Not all contractor's have your knowledge of the industry and how it works. So reworded to say anyone outside IR35 and using an Umbrella needs to be told by their employer or agency they can only use a regulated Umbrella and those umbrellas must register with HMRC or a n other body and explain their practices. Will pretty much kill stone dead all the leeches.
          You seem to have missed the point - regulation by itself actually doesn't solve anything - it looks great but it doesn't work

You only have to look at other labour type rules such as gangmasters to see why they don't actually solve the problem - they set minimum standards which people then try to avoid via false paperwork and threats to withhold work.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You seem to have missed the point - regulation by itself actually doesn't solve anything - it looks great but it doesn't work

You only have to look at other labour type rules such as gangmasters to see why they don't actually solve the problem - they set minimum standards which people then try to avoid via false paperwork and threats to withhold work.
            How would me as a contractor being told that as part of my contract outside IR35 that I am only allowed to use these x umbrellas all of which are regulated and have proved they deduct Tax and NIC..... actually I guess that just makes the me pay tax inside IR35.... hmm see the point.

Comment

From speaking to a former salesman, he didn't rely on ads or promotions. His customer base was linkedin. The content on there comes from contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
                From speaking to a former salesman, he didn't rely on ads or promotions. His customer base was linkedin. The content on there comes from contractors.
                yeah that was my original point. A partnership between HMRC and ASA is like putting a Ferrari engine in a reliant robin. waste of time

Comment

The key to many things in life - Education. But with perhaps 99 per cent of folks IR35 caught, I am hoping the market for scam scheme operators is going to be much more difficult to operate in. For the first time ever, end users and agencies are going to be accountable for ensuring IR35 is applied at tax paid. If not, they will be liable. Massively reduces the scope for naive or greedy individuals to be scammed by scheme operators.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    The key to many things in life - Education. But with perhaps 99 per cent of folks IR35 caught, I am hoping the market for scam scheme operators is going to be much more difficult to operate in. For the first time ever, end users and agencies are going to be accountable for ensuring IR35 is applied at tax paid. If not, they will be liable. Massively reduces the scope for naive or greedy individuals to be scammed by scheme operators.
                    Yep, probably more than anything else, that will kill off the schemes.

Agencies and end users simply won't touch anyone who isn't working through a fully PAYE compliant entity.

The old trick of inserting a dummy UK intermediary between the Isle of Man and the agencies won't work anymore.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                    X