• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmrc want one day for a reply after we wait 7 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmrc want one day for a reply after we wait 7 months

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can help.

We have been trying to settle my partner's affairs for a few years now. After last year's loan chg review we received a letter from HMRC asking us if we wanted to continue with settlement under November 2017 terms. We responded by the 28th May deadline they asked saying we did.

After 7, yes SEVEN months we received a letter from them on 15th December, that was dated 11th December. The letter informed us they needed to have the signed form back by 16th December otherwise we could not settle under November 2017 terms.

Under 24 hours to digest, check and obtain advice is not acceptable after waiting 7 months, but got it out to them as soon as we could.

Christmas eve we had a letter saying we now have to declare loan charge.

Had this hanging over us all Christmas as no one to call at HMRC.

My partner spoke to them today and they say tough. We are waiting a call back after complaint escalated

Surely we can't be given a 24 response time?

There are a couple of items of modus operandi here

Setting a silly timescale - I've seen lawyers tell them "no, we'll reply by X and you'll like it"

Sending people a threatening letter just before bank holidays - it's been heard of. So people sweat it out a bit.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Speak to your MP.

Get him / her to send HMRC a letter and watch their attitude change.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        There are a couple of items of modus operandi here

Setting a silly timescale - I've seen lawyers tell them "no, we'll reply by X and you'll like it"

Sending people a threatening letter just before bank holidays - it's been heard of. So people sweat it out a bit.
        I do that. Tell them when I'll have a reply ready. Missed every deadline they've set and they're still happy to talk to me as they want alleged tax due.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
          I do that. Tell them when I'll have a reply ready. Missed every deadline they've set and they're still happy to talk to me as they want alleged tax due.
          HMRC will always accept something over nothing. And it costs money to make people bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Booklet69 View Post
            Hi
            Just wondering if anyone can help.

We have been trying to settle my partner's affairs for a few years now. After last year's loan chg review we received a letter from HMRC asking us if we wanted to continue with settlement under November 2017 terms. We responded by the 28th May deadline they asked saying we did.

After 7, yes SEVEN months we received a letter from them on 15th December, that was dated 11th December. The letter informed us they needed to have the signed form back by 16th December otherwise we could not settle under November 2017 terms.

Under 24 hours to digest, check and obtain advice is not acceptable after waiting 7 months, but got it out to them as soon as we could.

Christmas eve we had a letter saying we now have to declare loan charge.

Had this hanging over us all Christmas as no one to call at HMRC.

My partner spoke to them today and they say tough. We are waiting a call back after complaint escalated

Surely we can't be given a 24 response time?
            Definitely ask your MP to help. My settlement was going on for 2 1/2 years with HMRC delays. I contacted my MP who wrote to the Cheif Executive of HMRC and then 2 weeks later I got a reply to finalise everything.

Comment

Working...
            X