• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy umbrella. Advice on sorting out affairs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    1st priority, continue to talk to HMRC. 2nd priority is to get some professional advice, but be careful. The world of tax advisers is full of current and ex-scam artists. Luckily it's a pretty small loan exposure, I'm sure it can be sorted out but it'll cost you, for certain.
    1) talk to HMRC and find out how much you owe in tax and pay that back (you have to January 31st 2022 so you have a year to find the money and there may well be additional leeway if you ask).

2) there is zero need to worry about tax advisors (beyond any free initial calls) as the amount is going to be small

3) the longer term issue is that loan exposure - but I suspect knowing its there and hoping it's written off is better than trying to force the issue at the moment. The fact the tax has been paid should mitigate some of the loan issues if it comes to ahead.

To the OP - did you read the contract before you signed it and does it have any mention of loans inside it. It does seem to based on the their comments about that £1000 for early repayment

Oh and I will PM you separately - you will be a great case study for the thing I'm still working on to stop people getting into the mess you are in.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Oh and I will PM you separately - you will be a great case study for the thing I'm still working on to stop people getting into the mess you are in.
      And for the avoidance of doubt, this is the exception to the rule - I'm OK with this. The OP won't get into further trouble if they choose to reply to eek's PM.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Catscope View Post
        I have asked the umbrella to write off the loan. However they state there’s a clause that if they ask for the money back early they have to pay £1000 and aren’t willing to do so.
        Does anyone have any advice going forward? Sack the accountant. Or follow his advice?
        Firstly, they are not an umbrella company, secondly they can do what they want if it is in the contract, can't see they would go legal if you didn't pay it as that would raise their head above the parapit.
        Probably the only proper way to do this is to declare it to HMRC and face the penalites, clear the unpaid taxes and find a proper brolly.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
          Firstly, they are not an umbrella company, secondly they can do what they want if it is in the contract, can't see they would go legal if you didn't pay it as that would raise their head above the parapit.
          Probably the only proper way to do this is to declare it to HMRC and face the penalites, clear the unpaid taxes and find a proper brolly.

Not sure on what you mean by not an umbrella company?

Getting all settled with HMRC and paying the tax owed. So in my eyes I’m ahead on that.

Have a solicitor currently looking at the loan agreement to try and pick any holes in it. When I discussed getting it settled with them they weren’t very forthcoming, however I didn’t push too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Catscope View Post
            Not sure on what you mean by not an umbrella company?

Getting all settled with HMRC and paying the tax owed. So in my eyes I’m ahead on that.

Have a solicitor currently looking at the loan agreement to try and pick any holes in it. When I discussed getting it settled with them they weren’t very forthcoming, however I didn’t push too hard.
            I think Lucy means that they are a tax avoidance scheme pretending to be an umbrella company. It is actually very common and a source of great frustration to those running genuinely compliant brollies.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Loan recall

You need to protect yourself against Loan Recall in years to come where some company say in 5 years time demands you pay the loan back leaving you out of pocket by 80% on top of all the tax you've paid.

Was the contract with UK company of offshore, IF UK, in which case I would seek to get regulators involved and get the loan agreement nullified and raise a legal challenge as its potentially fraudulent act on their behalf and misspelling a product.

Comment

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
                You need to protect yourself against Loan Recall in years to come where some company say in 5 years time demands you pay the loan back leaving you out of pocket by 80% on top of all the tax you've paid.

Was the contract with UK company of offshore, IF UK, in which case I would seek to get regulators involved and get the loan agreement nullified and raise a legal challenge as its potentially fraudulent act on their behalf and misspelling a product.
                The downside would be that it probably isn't a consumer loan. It's likely to be a loan from employer to employee which wouldn't be regulated as a consumer loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  The downside would be that it probably isn't a consumer loan. It's likely to be a loan from employer to employee which wouldn't be regulated as a consumer loan.
                  Thats true. However knowing the kind of people currently operating in this area in this climate I would think a 'loan recall' some time in the future is extremely likely, and NOW is the best time to mitigate this not in 5 years time when they've disappeared and sold the loan book to their brother in-laws.

Maybe the original poster needs to hunt for other scheme users by publishing the Umbrella name and they can club together to explore ways to nullify the loan agreement and settle the PAYE through the umbrella as full salary.

Comment

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
                    Thats true. However knowing the kind of people currently operating in this area in this climate I would think a 'loan recall' some time in the future is extremely likely, and NOW is the best time to mitigate this not in 5 years time when they've disappeared and sold the loan book to their brother in-laws.

Maybe the original poster needs to hunt for other scheme users by publishing the Umbrella name and they can club together to explore ways to nullify the loan agreement and settle the PAYE through the umbrella as full salary.
                    100% agree with meeting this head on, right now. But it is unlikely to be a consumer regulated loan. That's why I suggested taking some advice in an earlier post.

Comment

Working...
                    X