• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrock View Post
    It's good to know that AML are taking this seriously and will hopefully out up a fight on behalf of AML users.
    Well you had better hope that they respond to HMRC in a more timely manner than they do to their users...

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    So, what happens now? Do we just sit and wait for the demands to arrive? I have emailed AML but not had any response yet.....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Well you had better hope that they respond to HMRC in a more timely manner than they do to their users...
      I agree the communication with AML is very slow. I'm still with them so I do get standardised answers to common queries. I wonder what it would be like if I wasn't with them, would they care so much if they wasn't making any money.

Interested to hear others ( ex AML and current) experiences with communicating with AML regarding HMRC questions.

Comment

I agree the communication with AML is very slow. I'm still with them so I do get standardised answers to common queries. I wonder what it would be like if I wasn't with them, would they care so much if they wasn't making any money.

Interested to hear others ( ex AML and current) experiences with communicating with AML regarding HMRC questions.
        Can I ask why you are still using their services?
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Can I ask why you are still using their services?
          Lisa asks a good question; why are you still with them?
          Believe me, you are best out of these schemes, the sooner they lose their customers the sooner they stop trading and the sooner HMRC will stop their draconian measures.
          Another good reason is you will save money (and stress) in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by creativity View Post
            Lisa asks a good question; why are you still with them?
            Believe me, you are best out of these schemes, the sooner they lose their customers the sooner they stop trading and the sooner HMRC will stop their draconian measures.
            Another good reason is you will save money (and stress) in the long run.
            Although, in fairness to AML, they are still going. Many closed as soon as the EBT legislation changed, which makes chasing them very difficult . Yes - ok Sanzar is being supported via the Contractor Helpdesk and they have (apparently) funded Tax Advisors to deal with investigations - but there's no Sanzar company to hassle (....but that's another story)

Look, it's fair to say that not all tax planning will be ruled illegal and many schemes may continue long after new legislation is passed.

BUT you are a contractor - these schemes were initially designed for the super-rich who could afford the risk of massive tax bills. A tax bill which wipes 150k out of your life is going to be more painful than a 5 million take from, say, a famous comedian who may just have to sell a yacht to make the problem go away.

HMRC probably accept that the really, really rich will always avoid, and they are probably very, very hard to litigate against. You, me and other contractors are low hanging fruit.

Comment

You should note that AML PCC, which has been in place since April 2011, is unaffected by the new proposals...
              Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Hmmm
                +1 anything to stop the cash cows (sorry members) disappearing...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                  Although, in fairness to AML, they are still going. Many closed as soon as the EBT legislation changed, which makes chasing them very difficult . Yes - ok Sanzar is being supported via the Contractor Helpdesk and they have (apparently) funded Tax Advisors to deal with investigations - but there's no Sanzar company to hassle (....but that's another story)

Look, it's fair to say that not all tax planning will be ruled illegal and many schemes may continue long after new legislation is passed.

BUT you are a contractor - these schemes were initially designed for the super-rich who could afford the risk of massive tax bills. A tax bill which wipes 150k out of your life is going to be more painful than a 5 million take from, say, a famous comedian who may just have to sell a yacht to make the problem go away.

HMRC probably accept that the really, really rich will always avoid, and they are probably very, very hard to litigate against. You, me and other contractors are low hanging fruit.
                  Looking at the GAAR guidance I don't think there will be many options left

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    +1 anything to stop the cash cows (sorry members) disappearing...
                    +2 I'd like to see details of that scheme

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Most wealthy people who use tax planning only risk a portion of their net worth in a scheme.

The problem with the contractor schemes is that people put ALL of their income into them, year in and year out. If it fails then for many that will spell disaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X