• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC is an ADMINISTRATOR.

Their duty of care extends only so far as the administration of the system. If they maladminister they are held to account. Check their Ombudsman reports and you'll see how high that hurdle is, but some do get over it. Check especially where HMRC is guilty of pursuing some people based on an Inspector's judgement of a taxpayers character. In other words a personal vendetta. Fair number of cases where this is found to be true.

Some years ago I asked how many HMRC people had been dismissed based on this finding.

I was told this was restricted information. (I just bet it is!!)

Anyway, the duty of care to ensure that the rules operate for the good of the people, rests with Parliament. They are not entirely immune from charges of breach of that duty (rubbish unarmoured Landrovers killing our boys in Afganistan comes to mind) but the hurdle is exponentially higher than the administrative breach.

It's frustrating, maddening and grossly unfair but my advice here is put that behind you or use it to drive forward and not look back.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by patrickegan75 View Post
      Hi,

AML have contacted me requesting I send them my tax return from 2009-10.

"
      As part of our review into, and appeal against the substantive tax enquiry, namely the historic AML EBT, we require urgent copies of your submitted tax return(s).
      This particular exercise is not related to the issue of APNs, it applies to everyone in receipt of an AML EBT discovery assessment issued under HMRC’s discovery provisions of Section 29 Taxes Management Act 1970; in addition to income already taxed, HMRC believed the assessments brought into charge further sums that were received during these tax years stating that HMRC believe that the EBT loans should be regarded as income, and as such are taxable.
      AML are of the opinion that if AML’s DOTAS number (43525375) was reported on the applicable tax returns, HMRC are time-barred from making any protective assessments (2006/07 to 2010/11 inclusive). We shall let you have our views on this shortly, however in the meantime, until we have agreed or disagreed in principle with HMRC about the discovery position on this point, please provide copies of the applicable tax returns. You are required to provide copies of these return(s), regardless of who submitted your return(s), to ensure our files are complete and up to date."

What worries me about this is that AML Tax prepared the returns for me yet are asking me for a copy of the return?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Regards
      Pat
      I've had confirmation back from AML that the reason I didn't get this email is because they already have all of my returns. The email started out....

"We have not received copies of your tax return(s) for the EBT period(s) under enquiry – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY."

They have signed off the email with the following information....

"There are currently no further updates in regards to the progress of the Judicial Review, we will of course provide updates when we are in a position to do so."

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
        I've had confirmation back from AML that the reason I didn't get this email is because they already have all of my returns. The email started out....

"We have not received copies of your tax return(s) for the EBT period(s) under enquiry – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY."

They have signed off the email with the following information....

"There are currently no further updates in regards to the progress of the Judicial Review, we will of course provide updates when we are in a position to do so."
        Thanks for update.

I would suggest all ex-AML users for period 2010-11 request clarification on the loan write off(repayment) done for Dec 10th 2010 to end of tax year for that period. I have sent email asking for details of why it was done.
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Behind the curve

Very useful information reading through this thread but I still have a question I would be grateful if anybody could provide some clarity on.

I seem to be somewhat behind the curve to many here as I have just received a Self-Assessment check letter from HMRC as regards my year with AML – they have requested all sorts of documents and figures.

I am in the process of contacting AML as regards this – in general have they provided details on how to handle this?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
            Very useful information reading through this thread but I still have a question I would be grateful if anybody could provide some clarity on.

I seem to be somewhat behind the curve to many here as I have just received a Self-Assessment check letter from HMRC as regards my year with AML – they have requested all sorts of documents and figures.

I am in the process of contacting AML as regards this – in general have they provided details on how to handle this?
            This thread probably relates to what you have received.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              This thread probably relates to what you have received.
              Thank you DotasScandal

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post

AML will deal with any questions on your behalf, they will probably ask you to complete a signed "authority to act on your behalf" letter.
                http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

hi, I've been with AML and in exactly the same position as many in this thread, (and subsequently very worried).

Apologies for asking but is there more info to be had by gaining pm rights, I see a lot of you asking and I'm not entirely sure?

thanks
                  Last edited by ric_77; 14 September 2015, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
                    hi, I've been with AML and in exactly the same position as many in this thread, (and subsequently very worried).

Apologies for asking but is there more info to be had by gaining pm rights, I see a lot of you asking and I'm not entirely sure?

thanks
                    As ex AML too, I am not aware of any specific group for their scheme. I am guessing you have joined their JR process ? I would also advise joining Big Group (details on my signature).
                    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                      As ex AML too, I am not aware of any specific group for their scheme. I am guessing you have joined their JR process ? I would also advise joining Big Group (details on my signature).
                      Yes joined their JR and await further instructions from then, its all new to me since the whole APN letters came so really not sure what to expect.

Ill take a look at the Big Group, is that basically an indepth forum for users of such schemes?

Comment

Working...
                      X