• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems the HMRC have been busy.. also received the same letter re 2008/2009 tax year.
    Will be contacting Raingold tomorrow

Comment

Donkeyrhubarb, Skyrocket et al,

Thanks for the replies particularly the name of the new company. I will contact them tomorrow.

I will share anything new on this thread. I am currently speaking to my accountant as well to seek advice.

Comment

Hi Guys
        Thanks for the information. I also got the same letter today. Hope to contact them tomorrow.

Comment

I'm in pretty much the same position as Penguin having used Sanzar Partnerhip/Solutions for the entire 2008/09 tax year. I then jumped ship back to a Ltd Company. I received the letter last week and also contacted Garraway. They advised that they are a completely separate Company and have little knowledge of the Sanzar scheme. They also referred me to the Contractor Helpdesk. I contacted them and was advised to authorise Cobham Murphy to act on my behalf. Again I was told there would be no cost for this.

I have followed this advice so far. I am now resident overseas so certainly want someone closer to things to help me out where possible. Cobham Murphy will be notifying HMRC of my intention to appeal this week and we'll go from there I guess....

Comment

Just contacted Raingold and now wait to see what I hear back. Thanks Skyrocket for the info. Its interesting that Raingold are based in the UK. I am reasonably happy to appeal but without advice I am not sure how to or on what basis (other than me not wanting to pay the bill)...
            Last edited by bluerover; 12 February 2013, 08:32. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by bluerover View Post
              Just contacted Raingold and now wait to see what I hear back. Thanks Skyrocket for the info. Its interesting that Raingold are based in the UK. I am reasonably happy to appeal but without advice I am not sure how to or on what basis (other than me not wanting to pay the bill)...
              You should follow the advice of Raingold.

However, at the moment it would probably suffice just to say that you wish to appeal against the assessment and that HMRC is mistaken in its belief that the loans were income.

I have been dealing with HMRC for 10 years now and I can spot BS a mile off when I see it. They are chancing their arm hoping that users will capitulate.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                You should follow the advice of Raingold.

However, at the moment it would probably suffice just to say that you wish to appeal against the assessment and that HMRC is mistaken in its belief that the loans were income.

I have been dealing with HMRC for 10 years now and I can spot BS a mile off when I see it. They are chancing their arm hoping that users will capitulate.
                Thanks bluerover & DonkeyRhubarb. Do you think that it is Raingold's best interest to help us? Or should we get some advice from PCG?

Comment

Originally posted by KnightRider View Post
                  Thanks bluerover & DonkeyRhubarb. Do you think that it is Raingold's best interest to help us? Or should we get some advice from PCG?
                  Stick with the promoter. It's unlikely the PCG would be able to offer any help.

Comment

Do any of you play Poker?

Because, in my experience, that's the closest analogy I can think of to being under enquiry by HMRC.

They are very good at bluffing but they overuse it.

They will make you think they are holding all the cards when in reality they probably have a duff hand.

The object of the game is to get you to lose your nerve and fold. And trust me, it is a game to them.
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 12 February 2013, 10:46.

Comment

Edge Consulting

I too have been invited to the 08/09 party - same letter, same thing.

Dont suppose by any remote chance anyone has a contact number for Egde Consulting - searched everywhere and with Norla having ceased trading, no help there.

Very grateful in advance for any help, as assuming others were with Edge - for my part I am seeking to confirm whether the contract helpdesk/Cobham Murphy are representing these schemes, given they are covering some 20 + at the moment.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X