• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KnightRider View Post
    Thanks bluerover & DonkeyRhubarb. Do you think that it is Raingold's best interest to help us? Or should we get some advice from PCG?
    Try the PCG. If the loans were really loans and not related to your daily UK contractor income, they might be able to provide advise.

Comment

I am not familiar with the terms of the TRM or Edge arrangements. Were you employees of a business/partnership or self employed contractors?

If you were self-employed it is less likely that a loan from a trust could be deemed to be employment income. As has already been posted, HMRC have not had great success with EBTs to date. They lost the Rangers FC case but that might be going to appeal.
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

I've also received the same letter for 08/09. I was with Norla/Edge too but have had no luck contacting them. Would be interested to hear of any contact made and will be following this thread with great interest.

Comment

EDGE Consulting

Originally posted by a Man of Constant Sorrow View Post
          I too have been invited to the 08/09 party - same letter, same thing.

Dont suppose by any remote chance anyone has a contact number for Egde Consulting - searched everywhere and with Norla having ceased trading, no help there.

Very grateful in advance for any help, as assuming others were with Edge - for my part I am seeking to confirm whether the contract helpdesk/Cobham Murphy are representing these schemes, given they are covering some 20 + at the moment.

Many thanks
          You might be needing this:

FAO Contractors previously with Edge/Norla
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If it's any comfort, according to the recent NAO report, you are one of 20,000 people who used EBT or loan schemes.

http://www.nao.org.uk//idoc.ashx?doc...4d1&version=-1

I think it is HMRC who have the big problem, not you as individuals!!!

Comment

Just spoke to a company called TaxTalkUK who are dealing with the enquiries on behalf of RainGold. If I wish to be represented I can use them and agree a fee.

I have P45 from TRM, a Loan Agreement and a letter asking for the loan to be repaid. I guess I can appeal because I can prove it was a loan and at that time it was not taxable.

The chap at TaxTalkUK said they are sending these letters out because of the time limit and the fact this tax year goes out of date at the end of this tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                If it's any comfort, according to the recent NAO report, you are one of 20,000 people who used EBT or loan schemes.

http://www.nao.org.uk//idoc.ashx?doc...4d1&version=-1

I think it is HMRC who have the big problem, not you as individuals!!!
                I wouldn't dare suggest that 20,000 people appeal against HMRC. I mean it would be terrible if the tax courts came to a halt with all those cases
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by bluerover View Post
                  Just spoke to a company called TaxTalkUK who are dealing with the enquiries on behalf of RainGold. If I wish to be represented I can use them and agree a fee.
                  If it was me I would only pay for help completing the paperwork to appeal the discovery assessment at this stage. It could be a very long time before HMRC take this any further.

It would be a good idea if everyone uses the same wording in their appeal, so that HMRC realises they are up against professional tax advisors, not individual tax payers.

Comment

The chap I spoke to said appealing is just a matter of writing a letter stating the reasons for the appeal and ensuring you state how much of the additional amount you are appealing against. For me (as I imagine most people) is that it was a loan not a taxable income so I am appealing against the full amount. I have documentation regarding loan agreement and paying it off. I guess it doesn't have to be a long letter.

The more I think about this and re read the letter the more I agree with DonkeyRhubarbs opinion they are just trying it on.

Comment

Originally posted by bluerover View Post
                      The more I think about this and re read the letter the more I agree with DonkeyRhubarbs opinion they are just trying it on.
                      I would put money on it.

The NAO report says HMRC are investigating 20,000 people across 75 variants of the scheme. (And I suspect this is a conservative estimate)

If they can scare a fair few into settling then that's a quick easy win.

They are in a right mess with all of this, and IR35 has come back to well and truly bite them on the arse.

Comment

Working...
                      X