• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorted
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Always record your phone calls

I've seen some posts on here which advise on not calling HMRC, I disagree but, especially with HMRC, record ALL your phone calls. I have built up a library of the mis-guided advice they have given, their rudeness, inconsistency, incompetence and their lies. I also ensure I record the date, time and the person I speak with. They cannot hide behind the telephone. I also do this with the police who are an equally dysfunctional public body with minimal intelligence and lack of integrity. You should always advise the caller that the call is being recorded. I usually find by saying 'This call is being recorded for training and quality purposes' usually results in the person at the other end responding with 'yes' as they assume you asked them a question.

Comment

You need to call the police a lot, do you?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If it's purely for your own purposes, and you do not play the recording to anyone else, you don't need permission of anyone to record a conversation to which you are a party of. You can transcribe the recording and share the notes, but not the original recording.

Ian Blair did it when it was Met Commissioner and despite a lot of people getting into a flap about it and saying that he broke the law - it turned out he didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4800172.stm

If you want to use the recording as evidence, you need to inform all parties the call is being recorded - and it doesn't need to be for "training and quality purposes" - just that phrase has become accepted standard because it sounds a lot better than "this call is being recorded because we don't trust you lying f-ing tulipes"

Comment

What is your app of choice for recording phone calls?

Comment

Originally posted by hamario View Post
              What is your app of choice for recording phone calls?

Olympus Dictaphone. (Hardware, not software)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Olympus Dictaphone. (Hardware, not software)

Agreed, and then add one of these

Olympus TP-8 Telephone Pick Up Microphone

Comment

Counter Avoidance

Hi there,

I have just received a tax demand for 30k relating to tax year 2011-2012 while I was working through TwentyPlus. They have now dissolved as of Apr 2015 as they would have been non-compliant under new regulations. I have not received any enquiries from HMRC, just a letter demanding payment within 30 days dated from 12/1/16, got the letter today. Has anyone else received a similar demand and what did they do?

Any help/advice would be great.

regards
                  Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by sbar99920 View Post
                    Hi there,

I have just received a tax demand for 30k relating to tax year 2011-2012 while I was working through TwentyPlus. They have now dissolved as of Apr 2015 as they would have been non-compliant under new regulations. I have not received any enquiries from HMRC, just a letter demanding payment within 30 days dated from 12/1/16, got the letter today. Has anyone else received a similar demand and what did they do?

Any help/advice would be great.

regards
                    Stephen
                    Get an adviser and/or join a group.

You would have had more than "just a letter". There must be an assessment or an APN in there somewhere. HMRC does not send letters demanding money without reason.

PM me.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      Get an adviser and/or join a group.

You would have had more than "just a letter". There must be an assessment or an APN in there somewhere. HMRC does not send letters demanding money without reason.

PM me.
                      I have not received anything about this from HMRC in the past. It is a letter from Counter Avoidance that includes a notice of assessment for 2011/2012 tax year. It states that if I do not pay the amount on the assessment within 30 days penalties apply. They mention the appeals process etc. The text in the footer is RevAsst04 Simplified HMRC 09/15.

Is there a group in here that I can get advice from, especially related to the company that I used at that time.

Perhaps someone who has experienced a similar situation could recommend an adviser. They have issued this for 2011/12, does it mean they will issue for subsequent years?

Comment

Working...
                      X