• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glenzo View Post
    Hiya,

not sure what to do and wondered if anyone could pass me an invite along to any group that is dealing with this ? I think the figures being quoted are wrong and I am just trying to figure out the best next steps. with the years in question being 2009-2010 (Unprotected ?) and 2010-2011 (Protected) I cant remember that far back and sanzar seem to be no more...

and advice and help greatly appreciated. happy to provide proof or such but need to get an understanding on what to do next....seems wrong on so many levels to be being chased for tax for what was (is ?) legal so many years ago and only today be informed of liability :'(
    Your options are limited.

1. Pay what HMRC want now
    2. Pay what HMRC want in 2019
    3. Join a litigation group if there is one and perhaps pay in the future, perhaps not, but definitely pay fees
    4. Join Big Group and seek a settlement in which case probably pay some tax and definitely some fees

You don't have to be invited to join Big Group. Just go to the page and sign up.

You generally do have to be invited to a litigation group but you have to find one first.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hi - I'm new to the forum but have some interest in respect of this topic - please advise on rules about posting - keen not to violate them

Comment

Originally posted by snurbs View Post
        Thanks WTFH!

It's working now.
        How can I PM, please?

Comment

Big Group closed?

Went on to Big Group website says closed to new registrations?

I've had a 2nd tax demand today normal payable within 30 days (1st was regarding 2011-12 tax year) which l appealed, todays is for 2012-13...

Just wondering what happens, keep on appealing them forever and racking up interest indefinately?

Comment

Originally posted by ITmark View Post
            Went on to Big Group website says closed to new registrations?

I've had a 2nd tax demand today normal payable within 30 days (1st was regarding 2011-12 tax year) which l appealed, todays is for 2012-13...

Just wondering what happens, keep on appealing them forever and racking up interest indefinately?
            Ultimately the legislation proposed in its current state in Finance Bill 2017, means come 2019, all outstanding loans will be taxable. There is definitely and end game to all this come 2019. I would email Graham privately and seek advice. I understand membership will re-open again soon.
            http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

HMRC says I have been paid by Quantum but I've never heard of them

Hi,
              Received a HMRC demand letter for a large sum for the 2012-2013 year.
              In this year I used my limited company (and still do) for all income.
              The letter mentioned a company called Quantum Ltd that apparently paid me £68K
              I've never hard of them and never received any money from anyone in that year accept through my Companies House registered company.

I was wondering has anyone had a similar experience.
              I will have to dispute it of course - how can you pay tax on money you've never seen!

Comment

Contact your accountant immediately and get them to contact HMRC to explain this. They will be able to prove that you have never used anything other than your Ltd .
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cg1777 View Post
                  Hi,
                  I've never hard of them and never received any money from anyone in that year accept through my Companies House registered company.

I will have to dispute it of course - how can you pay tax on money you've never seen!
                  Get bank statements ready as well.

Comment

Similar but diffferent

Originally posted by cg1777 View Post
                    Hi,

I received a request for info relating to a year I only operated through a LtdCo but referencing an EBT I had left the year before. I contacted the provider who dealt with it, basically writing to HMRC telling them they were sniffing up the wrong lamp post.

What it looked like to me was your typical poor admin from the tax dementors and so I hope for your sake this is another example of such. If you don't have a tax advisor or have not used a tax scheme then I suggest getting your accountant (or indeed yourself) to send a recorded delivery letter to HMRC saying that you have never heard of Quantum Ltd, have not received a payment from them and so you consider there to be an error on HMRC's side and therefore you consider the matter closed unless they provide other evidence relating to the matter.

Before you do that though, just check your self assessment form for 2012-13. Is there an error on there? Check with whomever compiled that for you if there is.
                    Last edited by TheLastWinja; 5 April 2017, 10:36.

Comment

Have you checked if the letter is even addressed to you?
                      I am not joking.
                      Someone I know just received an APN... together with the APN for a totally different guy, stuffed in the same enveloppe.

So there you have it: the brain dead drones tasked with stuffind enveloppes with APNs/fines/penalties/surcharges/made up "discoveries"/any other outlandish tax demand cannot even do THAT competently.
                      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                      X