• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw my MP

So, had an initial chat with my MP and will have a follow up later this week. His, personal, view is that the powers which are to be granted to HMRC are unacceptable and there needs to a clean separation between the courts and the executive. The retrospective angle he said is outrageous, especially the hypothetical case of someone bankrupted and then found to have a winning position in court. As he said, if HMRC really win 80% of their cases they should concentrate on getting through their backlog. There is a possibility that the 20% they lose will see individuals bankrupted needlessly. I also made the point that HMRC do not pursue all the cases so the 80% figure maybe skewed. He agreed.

He also had a rant about Gary Barlow, but made the point that it was tried in a court, and Barlow lost. He had his day under due process. He isn't a fan of any form of avoidance - he thinks we should all be PAYE - but he believes that HMRC should get more funding to put cases in front of the courts rather than adopting powers themselves.

He's a relatively junior MP (Lab.) so he needs to get the party steer on it - I'm going to catch up with him later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
      So, had an initial chat with my MP and will have a follow up later this week. His, personal, view is that the powers which are to be granted to HMRC are unacceptable and there needs to a clean separation between the courts and the executive. The retrospective angle he said is outrageous, especially the hypothetical case of someone bankrupted and then found to have a winning position in court. As he said, if HMRC really win 80% of their cases they should concentrate on getting through their backlog. There is a possibility that the 20% they lose will see individuals bankrupted needlessly. I also made the point that HMRC do not pursue all the cases so the 80% figure maybe skewed. He agreed.

He also had a rant about Gary Barlow, but made the point that it was tried in a court, and Barlow lost. He had his day under due process. He isn't a fan of any form of avoidance - he thinks we should all be PAYE - but he believes that HMRC should get more funding to put cases in front of the courts rather than adopting powers themselves.

He's a relatively junior MP (Lab.) so he needs to get the party steer on it - I'm going to catch up with him later this week.
      I know there's probably a straightforward answer and this is probably not the right thread, but if we are all to be taxed as PAYE as HMRC wants - i.e as employees, then will HMRC be returning all the VAT paid to the hiring companies, as I'm not aware VAT is payable on employees. Or do they want both the VAT payment AND full PAYE? Is there a precedent for this elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by swhitehe View Post
        I know there's probably a straightforward answer and this is probably not the right thread, but if we are all to be taxed as PAYE as HMRC wants - i.e as employees, then will HMRC be returning all the VAT paid to the hiring companies, as I'm not aware VAT is payable on employees. Or do they want both the VAT payment AND full PAYE? Is there a precedent for this elsewhere?
        This may be of interest HM Revenue & Customs
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I think it is really hard to ascertain how sucessful HMRC are in court. I haven't really got any way of figuring out what the number mght really be - and hmrc sure as heck won't be letting on.

Consider that thy only go to court when then believe victory is near certain, then they lose 20% of them. That's a lot with those metrics.

How many do they negotiate settlement on?

How many does the taxpayer say "do one" then they back down?

In effect they seem to win 80% of that very limited subset they think is almost certain victory.

There was also an absolutely outrageous statement made by HMRC to the bbc in Barlows case:-

An HMRC spokesman told the BBC that "anyone using a scheme that HMRC deems to be against the rules owes them money".
          So, the new arbiter is no longer anything to do with what the legislation may say? HMRC have set out their stall very clearly. Executive powers to be judge, jury and executioner is what they believe they are due.

Comment

HMRC Litigation & Settlement Strategy

Arguably, the 80% success rate is meaningless...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/practitioners/lss.pdf

"Where HMRC believes that it is unlikely to succeed in litigation it will, in the majority of cases, concede the issue."

Comment

Originally posted by swhitehe View Post
              ....I think the point he was making is that HMRC rules need to be clearer in the future, he was not suggesting that PAYE be applied retrospectively.
              Of course, if HMRC do get these powers then it may be a portal to who knows what next....

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Arguably, the 80% success rate is meaningless...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/practitioners/lss.pdf

"Where HMRC believes that it is unlikely to succeed in litigation it will, in the majority of cases, concede the issue."
                ...be interesting to know the ones they dumped.

Comment

and it is on our website

https://www.dotas-scandal.org/what-i...ill-committee/
                  Last edited by varunksingh; 13 May 2014, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                    ...be interesting to know the ones they dumped.
                    I suspect the reason the backlog of open cases involving schemes has reached such dizzying heights is that they haven't been dumping enough.

It is one thing to have a strategy that says they should concede but it's another thing altogether to actually put it into practice. HMRC inspectors hate conceding anything.

Comment

Group representation

If you have any desire to pursue group representation please see Norla/Edge Former Employee EBT Self Help Group

Request PM (private message) access if you don't already have it. You can post a request or contact the admins via this page: http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php

PM TheDandy here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=39502
                      PM Saleos here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=41765

then make a decision if you have interest in one or both of the groups and if you are willing to foot the likely costs and advise the organiser(s) accordingly

Simply posting a desire to join a group will not achieve anything.

Sorry for the repetition but I want to ensure latecomers are informed

Comment

Working...
                      X