• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whole9yards View Post
    My genuine question - what if I decide to appeal, go it alone, pay the APN (NOT settle), not join a group. Then the Edge group representations win - after the group members have spent loads indivually. Wouldn't I be able to get my paid APN amount back, not having paid for the group membership?
    Is HMRC automatically obliged to refund all APNs paid for all Edge users, if a particular group of Edge users won a tribunal case? Or would you need to go to tribunal separately. I'm thinking the latter, but could be wrong?

Comment

It depends. Before tribunal starts it will be agreed how to decision will be binding to all in group apart from lead cases. Those outside the group HMRC can if they want to drag them to court again.

Comment

My reading of whole9yards approach was to let the group do the work and then if group successful hmrc would simply refund the APN payments for all scheme members, irrespective of whether inside or outside the group.

Strength in numbers, from what you are saying you really have to be in the group to benefit from the litigation. If you're outside, there are no guarantees and you might have to go to tribunal separately.

I think that's the main point, and not sure it came across strongly in your earlier post. This is relevant to all groups.

There will be plenty of freeloaders like whole9yards so important to address this.
        Last edited by Old Kent Road; 9 May 2015, 14:05.

Comment

What StrengthInNumbers wrote is absolutely correct. Freeloaders take notice.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Received an APN Warning regarding my Edge years 2009-2010

Hello,

Like other edge guys I also received a warning letter from hmrc dated 24 April 2015 stating I would receive an APN for my tax years 2009 and 2010, in the next 1-8 weeks. Back in early 2014, I joined Saleos group, but I believe this matter is being handled by some other group now. Could I be granted PM privileges and some advice as to which groups are handling the matter, whom to contact?

Thanks
            ammark

Comment

Originally posted by ammark View Post
              Hello,

Like other edge guys I also received a warning letter from hmrc dated 24 April 2015 stating I would receive an APN for my tax years 2009 and 2010, in the next 1-8 weeks. Back in early 2014, I joined Saleos group, but I believe this matter is being handled by some other group now. Could I be granted PM privileges and some advice as to which groups are handling the matter, whom to contact?

Thanks
              ammark
              Ammark, if you joined Saleos you should be getting updates from him. He is still working for us.
              You can join other groups of course and do get as much advice from as many sources as possible.
              I've just been given some hope by a tax advisor when I thought there was nothing I could do when the promised APNs drop through my door.
              I'd advise anyone awaiting or having received APNs to speak to professionals and get their advice. They'll have an initial chat for free and then you can decide how much youre willing to spend to protect what should still legally be yours!
              Good luck.

Comment

I thought I understood the scope that HMRC are chasing but am confused about IHT? Can anyone share with me how IHT comes into the exposure? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by whole9yards View Post
                  but if someone can justify the cost (other than "for the greater good" - well aren't we all money hungry contractors!? That's why we're in this situation in the first place!), then please do.
                  Some of us joined edge not because we wanted to save every last penny in tax, but because it seemed the obvious way to go for IR35.

Someone recommended edge to me not because they thought they were any good but because they were a money grabbing contractor who was after the referral fee.

Obviously like everyone else I wish I never joined.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
                    Some of us joined edge not because we wanted to save every last penny in tax, but because it seemed the obvious way to go for IR35.
                    Someone recommended edge to me not because they thought they were any good but because they were a money grabbing contractor who was after the referral fee.
                    Obviously like everyone else I wish I never joined.
                    That horse has been beaten to death about 100 times on these boards....
                    Yes, there is much more to things than the official governmental narrative of "greedy tax avoiders" would let the "public" believe.
                    Hindsight is always 20/20, we are all where we are, we're in it together, and focus now must be on defending our case and resisting the HMRC looting by all means necessary.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
                      Was the amount on the APN the same as that was previously requested?
                      Not as such, I hadn't previously received an assessment for these years.

Comment

Working...
                      X