• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhineheart View Post
    Hello,

I recently also received notice that I would receive an accelerated payment notice. I enquired to HMRC about settlement and was told that the APN notice is in the post and that I cannot settle.
    If I pay the amount required in the APN and don't represent myself and have a ruling against me, other than having to pay are there any other consequences? Will I appear on some type of black list of have some adverse credit rating issues? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    1. HMRC are incorrect about settlement. If there is an offer that has not closed, you are able to settle if you wish (or at least indicate you're interested) and the APN position has absolutely NO BEARING on this.

2. The APN is a payment on account. It does NOT settle your position. The APN might be more or less than your final liability as determined in litigation or agreement with HMRC.

3. No. HMRC is interested in collecting tax. Their records are not available to credit agencies. If you have done more than one scheme you might be regarded as a serial avoider for which a raft of new rules arrived recently.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      1. HMRC are incorrect about settlement. If there is an offer that has not closed, you are able to settle if you wish (or at least indicate you're interested)
      Hmm, I find that response from HMRC to rhinehearts question somewhat odd. We know they make mistakes and are utterly incompetent etc etc but could this be construed as deliberately misleading someone? Noone has ever seen anything that says once an APN has been issued you can't settle...

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        Hmm, I find that response from HMRC to rhinehearts question somewhat odd. We know they make mistakes and are utterly incompetent etc etc but could this be construed as deliberately misleading someone? Noone has ever seen anything that says once an APN has been issued you can't settle...
        Some of the HMRC staff manning the phones aren't very well informed.

If your query is important put it in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Some of the HMRC staff manning the phones aren't very well informed.
          So HMRC helplines aren't fit for purpose and yet all HMRC correspondence urges us to ring them. Can we not complain to the ASA? Trades description act or something ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            So HMRC helplines aren't fit for purpose and yet all HMRC correspondence urges us to ring them. Can we not complain to the ASA? Trades description act or something ;-)
            Nice idea but probably not.

If you bought a TV from John Lewis and the JL employee said that it could not only show you programmes but also make your tea and walk the dog, you might buy it and then complain that you were misled. The response would be that you should have read the instructions and not relied upon somebody else to do it.

Tax law is a very complicated set of instructions. The fact that some HMRC officer (probably at the bottom end of the pay scale) has probably not read the instructions, or doesn't understand them, is not protection.

You'll also find that the Crown is exempt from many laws.

It's a quirk that HMRC is not a ministerial department but rather part of the Civil Service that enjoys Crown immunity. Perhaps if it was operated by a Minister the position might be different?

(No, me neither).

Comment

If you bought a TV from John Lewis and the JL employee said that it could not only show you programmes but also make your tea and walk the dog, you might buy it and then complain that you were misled. The response would be that you should have read the instructions and not relied upon somebody else to do it.
              True, but you don't get the instructions 'til you've bought the TV. By then it's too late. Duty of care and all that ;-)

It's a quirk that HMRC is not a ministerial department but rather part of the Civil Service that enjoys Crown immunity
              I'll drop The Queen a line then, she seems like a sensible sort :-)

Comment

Hi,

Just joined forum. I was with Edge Consulting until 2008 and just received an APN. Can I have PM access, please?

Thanks

Comment

Settlement Deadline (too late or not too late ?)

1. HMRC are incorrect about settlement. If there is an offer that has not closed, you are able to settle if you wish (or at least indicate you're interested) and the APN position has absolutely NO BEARING on this.

2. The APN is a payment on account. It does NOT settle your position. The APN might be more or less than your final liability as determined in litigation or agreement with HMRC.

3. No. HMRC is interested in collecting tax. Their records are not available to credit agencies. If you have done more than one scheme you might be regarded as a serial avoider for which a raft of new rules arrived recently.
                  Hi, I was thinking it might be best to settle if there is still time. I read somewhere that you had to have registered interest before now (31-MAR-2015 ?) even though the deadline is end of June - is this incorrect, i.e. as long as you contact them before 30-June you still have the option ?

People are saying "why settle" but if you do, as I understand, you don't run the risk of having NI contributions added to the bill.

One thing that has stopped me so far is the threat of IHT applying if you settle - have read through numerous posts but still not clear as to what would happen here.

Just wondering if anyone has settled and know or anyone knows for sure ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jbeer View Post
                    Hi, I was thinking it might be best to settle if there is still time. I read somewhere that you had to have registered interest before now (31-MAR-2015 ?) even though the deadline is end of June - is this incorrect, i.e. as long as you contact them before 30-June you still have the option ?

People are saying "why settle" but if you do, as I understand, you don't run the risk of having NI contributions added to the bill.

One thing that has stopped me so far is the threat of IHT applying if you settle - have read through numerous posts but still not clear as to what would happen here.

Just wondering if anyone has settled and know or anyone knows for sure ?

Thanks
                    You have until June 30th to contact HMRC to register an interest in the settlement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...re-information

The settlement is vague in terms of what you are settling. It is certainly income tax. It might be NIC and IHT.

It seems that HMRC themselves are not sure.

You need to ask when you register an interest as different schemes seem to be getting different answers.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hmm, received a second APN this morning. Could I please have PM access?

Comment

Working...
                      X