• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seminar on HMRC actions, EBT's and Tax Assessments/Enquiries/COP 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Convict,

I've replied to the hmrc email address you posted, but I haven't yet received a reply.

I just wanted to confirm that you had me on the list?

Thanks,
    HAM

Comment

Originally posted by HeartAttackMan View Post
      Hi Convict,

I've replied to the hmrc email address you posted, but I haven't yet received a reply.

I just wanted to confirm that you had me on the list?

Thanks,
      HAM
      please resend to [email protected] and/or pm me your email address.

Comment

Missed it!

Hey convict really sorry didn't keep up to date on this. How did it go yesterday? Will there be any notes at all?

Comment

Post-event discussion

Originally posted by CDJ View Post
          Hi Convict/Michael

I unfortunately can't make the Saturday, but am very interested in getting as much information as possible. If it is available, I would be more than happy to contribute to costs if there was any material/info packs/recordings available from Saturday.

If you could drop me a quick PM if so..

Cheers
          CDJ
          Hi Convict / Michael

I unfortunately could not make saturday as away so missed it. I'd be happy to contribute also to be involved and see the materials etc.

Please send me a PM for this also if this works
          Thanks
          Matt

Comment

Hi

I've been away So also
            Unable to attend . I'd also be interested in contributing in return for info from seminar

Comment

Originally posted by Shrek77 View Post
              Hi

I've been away So also
              Unable to attend . I'd also be interested in contributing in return for info from seminar
              Also been away due to school holidays, happy to contribute if there are any material that can be shared.

Comment

Originally posted by LordF View Post
                Also been away due to school holidays, happy to contribute if there are any material that can be shared.
                I did capture the event. Unfortunately I only got the first 20 minutes of the presentation plus the QA session*. I've not looked at it yet to see if quality is usable. Once I've had a chance to go through it I'll report back.

* I captured in 1080p and it looks like my android device allows for max ~2GB files, hence it crapping out after 20 minutes. I spotted this after the first session so started a new file every ~20 mins for the QA session.

Comment

Seminar Summary....

Like some of you I attended the seminar and basically it was a reality check on the situation from our perspective and the HMRC perspective, Michael was articulate and accurate in recalling off facts and didn’t hold back as to worst case scenarios, but to summarise::there is no solution or what’s going to happen next....we are not in control of this.

One of the positives I got from the meeting was we all had a common concern and cause and we could all interact face to face whilst all being there.

After mulling it over at the weekend, I realised, that this is not going to go away, not only for 08/09 and there is a likely hood that previous and current years could also get resurrected for liability, and this may happen to some of us and for some it might just be postponed for a few years and yes some may get away scot free. I say Scot Free but that would only be after 20years of that tax year as this is ultimately how far HMRC can go back, one thing I don’t think can be changed from retrospective law. This attack on loans is being driven politically from central government; the only way I can see it stopping is if central government changes focus and so much can happen in 20 odd years.

So what do we do? HMRC are on the attack as an organised and financially resourceful unit, we're all sitting ducks, reading a lot and making opinions and some writing letters and some meeting with PM’s, some waiting and watching, I don’t think that cuts it enough to be honest, yes we have the NRTM but we also need to attack, it’s a scheme we believe in and it worked and was lawful.

We ALL have a common cause but a very worthy opponent. Most of you have done the response appeals for 08/09 but what about previous years and current years? These are all potential liabilities.

We need to get organised and become financially resourceful against ALL potential liabilities, someone is going to be taken to tribunal are we really just going to sit it out and see, especially when our opponent is so worthy they will be up against a minor with a second rate tax barrister and then accept that this will set the president for all of us not just for 08/09 but all years past & present ....it’s a huge risk a worse one than when we decided to join these EBT schemes.

What we need is insurance in that for the next 20 years or so, if this dies and then gets resurrected or dies again and get resurrected aging we are protected; POLL TAX was abolished by the people not government, hasn’t come back yet...why??

Think about the entire loans you have and if you would put money into an organised, robust tax insurance policy specifically designed to defend against a loan agreement be it from and EBT scheme, MSC scheme etc that will fight your case with more than enough financial capital thorough to the European level which will then set the precedent not only for you but everyone, at least we gave it good whatever happens and what’s the loss to do so ....say £1000 ....if there were 500 of us we’d have a £500,000 bond against HMRC, and if there were 1000 or 2000 of us. We all need to be part of one policy to insure us against specifically for EBT’s.

I’m not one for spearheading this, this is just my opinion and for your thoughts to be triggered.

Comment

Originally posted by bstar1 View Post
                    Like some of you I attended the seminar and basically it was a reality check on the situation from our perspective and the HMRC perspective, Michael was articulate and accurate in recalling off facts and didn’t hold back as to worst case scenarios, but to summarise::there is no solution or what’s going to happen next....we are not in control of this.

One of the positives I got from the meeting was we all had a common concern and cause and we could all interact face to face whilst all being there.

After mulling it over at the weekend, I realised, that this is not going to go away, not only for 08/09 and there is a likely hood that previous and current years could also get resurrected for liability, and this may happen to some of us and for some it might just be postponed for a few years and yes some may get away scot free. I say Scot Free but that would only be after 20years of that tax year as this is ultimately how far HMRC can go back, one thing I don’t think can be changed from retrospective law. This attack on loans is being driven politically from central government; the only way I can see it stopping is if central government changes focus and so much can happen in 20 odd years.

So what do we do? HMRC are on the attack as an organised and financially resourceful unit, we're all sitting ducks, reading a lot and making opinions and some writing letters and some meeting with PM’s, some waiting and watching, I don’t think that cuts it enough to be honest, yes we have the NRTM but we also need to attack, it’s a scheme we believe in and it worked and was lawful.

We ALL have a common cause but a very worthy opponent. Most of you have done the response appeals for 08/09 but what about previous years and current years? These are all potential liabilities.

We need to get organised and become financially resourceful against ALL potential liabilities, someone is going to be taken to tribunal are we really just going to sit it out and see, especially when our opponent is so worthy they will be up against a minor with a second rate tax barrister and then accept that this will set the president for all of us not just for 08/09 but all years past & present ....it’s a huge risk a worse one than when we decided to join these EBT schemes.

What we need is insurance in that for the next 20 years or so, if this dies and then gets resurrected or dies again and get resurrected aging we are protected; POLL TAX was abolished by the people not government, hasn’t come back yet...why??

Think about the entire loans you have and if you would put money into an organised, robust tax insurance policy specifically designed to defend against a loan agreement be it from and EBT scheme, MSC scheme etc that will fight your case with more than enough financial capital thorough to the European level which will then set the precedent not only for you but everyone, at least we gave it good whatever happens and what’s the loss to do so ....say £1000 ....if there were 500 of us we’d have a £500,000 bond against HMRC, and if there were 1000 or 2000 of us. We all need to be part of one policy to insure us against specifically for EBT’s.

I’m not one for spearheading this, this is just my opinion and for your thoughts to be triggered.

My thoughts are, even if an insurance policy did exist, it would be very unlikely that they would insure you, bearing in mind we've already been notified by HMRC that we're being looked into....

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Rocket View Post
                      My thoughts are, even if an insurance policy did exist, it would be very unlikely that they would insure you, bearing in mind we've already been notified by HMRC that we're being looked into....
                      Apologies...I stand corrected, I incorrectly defined the term "insurance", I meant a sinking fund of some sort that is administered professionally to fight a case that will set the president for all of us but fight it well., should it EVER come to it or go the distance to European level.

Comment

Working...
                      X