• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT/loan schemes managed by Montpelier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC enquiries for EBT/loan schemes managed by Montpelier

This thread is for those with loans/EBT's from 2008/9 and on with Montpelier and allied companies.

Many will, like me, have been using the previous scheme that was impacted by BN66 and will be familiar with the current thread managed by the tireless folks behind NTRT (thanks to DR et al).

The intention here is to have a distinct thread for Montpelier loan users in addition to the generic EBT/loan thread.

Montpelier have been supportive through the BN66 campaign and sincerely hope this continues for those of us that stuck with them into the loan scheme.
    Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 18 September 2013, 16:49.

MP already on to reply for me

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Montpelier have been supportive through the BN66 campaign and sincerely hope this continues for those of us that stuck with them into the loan scheme.
    Yes same service seems to apply response being prepared for me as usual.
    The Cat

Comment

I thought it probably best not to air this on the BN66 thread.

If you claim TAA for the BN66 scheme is there a risk that HMRC could use it against the loan scheme?

The rules on EBTs changed in 2011, I think, to outlaw them for employees. If HMRC could argue that you were employed, not self-employed, then you could expose yourself for years 2011-2014.

Does that make sense at all?
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

If you claim TAA for the BN66 scheme is there a risk that HMRC could use it against the loan scheme?

The rules on EBTs changed in 2011, I think, to outlaw them for employees. If HMRC could argue that you were employed, not self-employed, then you could expose yourself for years 2011-2014.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a twice the liability for the Loan scheme :-(

Comment

I could see them applying that logic. Have come to the same conclusion myself. They could potentially plough the lane of contractors claiming SE via an intermediate - whatever form it takes.

What about employed via EBT before 2011? Chance to re-use the time machine or are HMRC all out of flux capacitors?
          Last edited by the great escape; 3 May 2015, 16:35.

Comment

That's good then as I jumped out of EBTs before 2011.

I fully intend to use the TAA argument as I have no other choice but to deal with what is currently in front of me.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
              That's good then as I jumped out of EBTs before 2011.

I fully intend to use the TAA argument as I have no other choice but to deal with what is currently in front of me.

I have to say the only EBT loan stuff I see getting any action on here are all the other edge/norla schemes .....on other threads ..radio silence from HMRC and MTM on their loan schemes.

Like you guys ... a bit worried about the pulling the george trigger
              Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 4 May 2015, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                I have to say the only EBT loan stuff I see getting any action on here are all the other edge/norla schemes .....on other threads ..radio silence from HMRC and MTM on their loan schemes.

Like you guys ... a bit worried about the pulling the george trigger
                Were edge etc. all SE via EBT?

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
                  Were edge etc. all SE via EBT?
                  Most of the pre-2011 schemes like Edge, Sanzar, were employment based.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Most of the pre-2011 schemes like Edge, Sanzar, were employment based.
                    And looking across the threads, all those 'employment based' chaps have received APNs, who inturn have got their own appeals going on. Out of a frying pan, into another although not as hot for some as the first one. Of course if you could show that 'post George' you returned to SE then it's sorted.

Comment

Working...
                    X