HMRC Enquiry for schemes through Darwin. HMRC Enquiry for schemes through Darwin. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Update

    JMGB

    No, have had no further correspondence from HMRC.

    It was Darwin Trust. Never heard of Hamilton Trust before.

    I passed the HMRC letter to Contractor Helpdesk and them onto Cobham Murphy.

    Got a Contractor Helpdesk update in January. Same as update to Sanzar people I think.


    Quote Originally Posted by JMGB View Post
    Hi, any further correspondence? Was it Hamilton Trust you were with via Darwin. I have heard nothing from the trustees of that trust having contacted them.

  2. #22

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Civil proceedings against IOM umbrella directors - Darwinpay

    Would there be any mileage in this - any interest? Misrepresentation, trading / advertising standards breaches etc


    Quote Originally Posted by LordF View Post
    JMGB

    No, have had no further correspondence from HMRC.

    It was Darwin Trust. Never heard of Hamilton Trust before.

    I passed the HMRC letter to Contractor Helpdesk and them onto Cobham Murphy.

    Got a Contractor Helpdesk update in January. Same as update to Sanzar people I think.

  3. #23

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Darwinpay, umbrella contracts, etc

    Hi Cojak - I only posted that url because that is what I was referred to by IQ contracts that Darwinpay had used to pay contractors - seeing as Darwinpay are not involving themselves. On another point, what is to stop contractors who, shall we say have been mislead by unscrupulous persons in misrepresented schemes that were allegedly HMRC approved with QC sign off, from mounting a class action - civil case to pursue directors of such schemes for damages? I have trawled the net for precedents but have found nothing. It certainly does no favours to the reputations of such places as the IOM to have these charlatans in their midst does it!

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I let this post through because I thought it was posting an already mentioned scheme's helpdesk.

    This appears not to be the case and so I have amended the URL to show people what the website is and to remove the link - it looks like a straight advertisement.

    Just thought I'd let you know.

    (Oh, and a note to JMGB - replace that URL at your peril...)

  4. #24

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,650

    Default

    Your first obstacle is that all these schemes are unregulated. There are no misselling rules covering them.

    Even in the unlikely event that you successfully sued, it would almost certainly be a pyrrhic victory since there's no way you could get enough back from the directors to even make a small dent in all your tax bills.

    Personally, I'd say forget it.

  5. #25

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    93

    Default Settlement of taxes on loans letter

    Hi guys

    After a long 2 year silence, and having referred the initial HMRC enquiry to Contractor Helpdesk => Cobham Murphy, I received my another HMRC communication this morning too, re tax year to 5/4/2011 saying that I could ask HMRC for a calculation and then cough up by 5th Jan 2015.

    My loans from Darwin for that year were £21.8k in total .... anyone got any idea how much they would ask for on that figure? (Tax plus interest)

  6. #26

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Why don't you ask them instead of posting the same question on every thread?

    It's 3% a year. Not compounded as far as I know.

  7. #27

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Thanks. I was under the illusion that someone here may have an idea and may be kind enough to advise.

    Quote Originally Posted by retrodeath View Post
    Why don't you ask them instead of posting the same question on every thread?

    It's 3% a year. Not compounded as far as I know.

  8. #28

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default Any news on HMRC timelines

    I operated through Darwin in 2009. Wasnt very happy with the situation. 5 seconds after registering I got the email saying that I was signed up for a tax avoidance scheme, go immediately to the HMRC website and let them know...which I did as i am clean living soul. The I get the letter from HMRC late last year saying I owe £5k. So I get myself a Tax Certificate which is filed away at home and the clock stops. My question is does anybody have any insight as to the timelines on this given that it is now 6 years elapsed? Unfortunately I have lost the number of the Tax avoidance scheme so if anyone knows what is was for Darwin I would appreciate it as I could ring HMRC if I knew which avoidance scheme I am talking about
    Cheers

    Dai

  9. #29

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaiArchway View Post
    I operated through Darwin in 2009. Wasnt very happy with the situation. 5 seconds after registering I got the email saying that I was signed up for a tax avoidance scheme, go immediately to the HMRC website and let them know...which I did as i am clean living soul. The I get the letter from HMRC late last year saying I owe £5k. So I get myself a Tax Certificate which is filed away at home and the clock stops. My question is does anybody have any insight as to the timelines on this given that it is now 6 years elapsed? Unfortunately I have lost the number of the Tax avoidance scheme so if anyone knows what is was for Darwin I would appreciate it as I could ring HMRC if I knew which avoidance scheme I am talking about
    Cheers

    Dai
    There's a live chat facility on their website (I can't believe they're still promoting 90% take home ) so you could ask them using that. Failing that, if you contact one of the specialist anti-avoidance teams at HMRC I am sure they'll know who you're talking about
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  10. #30

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaiArchway View Post
    I operated through Darwin in 2009. Wasnt very happy with the situation. 5 seconds after registering I got the email saying that I was signed up for a tax avoidance scheme, go immediately to the HMRC website and let them know...which I did as i am clean living soul. The I get the letter from HMRC late last year saying I owe £5k. So I get myself a Tax Certificate which is filed away at home and the clock stops. My question is does anybody have any insight as to the timelines on this given that it is now 6 years elapsed? Unfortunately I have lost the number of the Tax avoidance scheme so if anyone knows what is was for Darwin I would appreciate it as I could ring HMRC if I knew which avoidance scheme I am talking about
    Cheers

    Dai
    If you no longer have the DOTAS SRN, then ask HMRC.

    The threads are full of opinions on the time line. I'll reiterate mine and plug Big Group at the same time.

    It is unlikely that anybody you can reach on the phone at HMRC will be able to give you an up to date position. Your best bet would be an action group that is already formed and has made progress or join Big Group - see thread.

    My opinion is that a final decision on liability is perhaps 5 years away at the earliest.

    You have a certificate of tax deposit which is a good and positive move.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •