• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COP8 vs Discovery Assesment - Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COP8 vs Discovery Assesment - Questions

Hi - i was wondering if anyone might knowthe answer , or at least have an idea or opinion on the following questions:

1) Did all the people who recieved discovery letters for 08/09 already have open COP8 investigations?

2) Why did the discovery letters only start for the period 08/09 and not prior to that?

3) If you have an open COP8 for years prior to 08/09 and there has been no progress or correspondence for 5 years , can you force HMRC to close the enquiry?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by FTTM; 6 February 2014, 15:39. Reason: politeness added

I am no expert will try and help with what I know
    1) I don't think so.
    2) Discovery notice has to be done within 4 years. In many cases, HMRC might be wrong to issue a Discovery notice if tax return has all the details - DOTAS etc. Anyways, it looks like HMRC did not wanted to let the 4 year window pass and thus issued Discovery to all for 08/09 before Apr 13.
    3) Unfortunately not. Once HMRC have opened an investigation they can keep it open for a very long time.

Above is best to my knowledge and if you can, get confirmation from your tax advisor. It is best for a tax advisor to deal with HMRC.

If you are not yet aware this is very important as well
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._avoidance.pdf

Being discussed here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...e-schemes.html

Comment

Working...
    X