• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    And that's where we disagree.
    Absolute poppy cock, this currently covers the public sector only.

Try reading it again
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 6 December 2016, 07:15.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Absolute poppy cock, this currently covers the private sector only.

Try reading it again
      public

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        public
        Thank you
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I can see a lot more private sector work going different ways:

Direct engagement by smaller firms of contractor ltd cos as suppliers, where we'll have to suck up longer payment terms but be outside IR35 because we're operating under full B2B terms in the way that they'd engage Otis for their lifts, Chubb for their secure storage, etc.

Direct engagement by larger firms of contractor ltd cos as associates, resorting to agencies as finders with a finder fee and trickle payment system. The agencies will lose out as long extensions and repeat business will not be included in the finder fees.

Under both models, the big losers are the recruitment agencies.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I can see a lot more private sector work going different ways:

Direct engagement by smaller firms of contractor ltd cos as suppliers, where we'll have to suck up longer payment terms but be outside IR35 because we're operating under full B2B terms in the way that they'd engage Otis for their lifts, Chubb for their secure storage, etc.

Direct engagement by larger firms of contractor ltd cos as associates, resorting to agencies as finders with a finder fee and trickle payment system. The agencies will lose out as long extensions and repeat business will not be included in the finder fees.

Under both models, the big losers are the recruitment agencies.
            I've spoken to some agents who concentrate on the German market over the years. The second model is the one they use and they seem to make sufficient income from it so I wouldn't worry about them.

In addition some clients who engage freelancers and contractors directly aren't so bothered if you aren't incorporated. So these models could lead to newer freelancers actually paying more tax.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I've spoken to some agents who concentrate on the German market over the years. The second model is the one they use and they seem to make sufficient income from it so I wouldn't worry about them.

In addition some clients who engage freelancers and contractors directly aren't so bothered if you aren't incorporated. So these models could lead to newer freelancers actually paying more tax.
              My apologies if you thought I ever was.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The online tool is not compulsory, even in the public sector, and it's simply provided as an FYI for the private sector. For now.

I'm pretty sure I read it WAS compulsory, plus no way will a PS Manager risk operating outside it.

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
                  The online tool is not compulsory, even in the public sector, and it's simply provided as an FYI for the private sector. For now.

I'm pretty sure I read it WAS compulsory, plus no way will a PS Manager risk operating outside it.
                  If there's an online tool available it will be used in both sectors. What the hell's the point of it otherwise?

For private sector it isn't compulsory but it is there for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
                    If there's an online tool available it will be used in both sectors. What the hell's the point of it otherwise?

For private sector it isn't compulsory but it is there for a reason.
                    Why would it be used in the Private Sector, unless the tax burden / liability has changed due to law, like in the PS?

Nothing has changed there, it is still for the contractor to decide whether they are outside and be liable for any tax consequences, if found not to be
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Why would it be used in the Private Sector, unless the tax burden / liability has changed due to law, like in the PS?

Nothing has changed there, it is still for the contractor to decide whether they are outside and be liable for any tax consequences, if found not to be
                      It's important to remember that this tool is for the public sector because HMG can force it to ignore employment law and use whatever criteria it deems fit to use to determine IR35 status...

Getting the private sector to use the tool as its probably going to be designed isn't likely to work because a manager in the private sector can't be fired by a senior civil servant....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X