• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've dealt with enough people like him to know that if Phil Hammond regards him as a tax avoiding bum on a seat who should be an employee Mr Hammond is 100% correct.
    EEK reading some of your posts I am sure you would classify approx. 90% of freelancers in both PS and Private Sector as tax avoiding BoS.

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
      EEK reading some of your posts I am sure you would classify approx. 90% of freelancers in both PS and Private Sector as tax avoiding BoS.
      That 90% figure comes from my last public sector client who to be frank were abusing the system to solve headcount politics. I wouldn't say it's that bad elsewhere nor would it be 80% but its going to be a significant number of people. Even if its just 20% of all contractors (and I suspect its more than that) that's enough to give the rest of us a bad name.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That 90% figure comes from my last public sector client who to be frank were abusing the system to solve headcount politics. I wouldn't say it's that bad elsewhere nor would it be 80% but its going to be a significant number of people. Even if its just 20% of all contractors (and I suspect its more than that) that's enough to give the rest of us a bad name.
        It really depends on the department and managers involved.

I had one public sector client who wouldn't let contractors work like that. Hence contractors where removed if they didn't sort out their own work.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
          I'd personally reckon it's about 50-60%; over half of those are there purely because of companies in private sector wanting to avoid hassle and business NICs. The other half are simply too junior to be left alone.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi all,

I work for a rather big HE, they have just released a statement saying "work package" based contracts maybe supported, which will allow the continuing use of limited companies...

I am working on a large 2 year program, payed by an external public sector body...

Hss any one heard this "work package" term yet? and does it hold any water?

Many thanks

Comment

I've had it from a few agents and dismissed them all, until the PS body on the other side of the engagement applies the decision making tool and lets the intermediary know if the rules apply or not in that scenario.

Until then, it's an empty promise in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by newtothegame View Post
                Hi all,

I work for a rather big HE, they have just released a statement saying "work package" based contracts maybe supported, which will allow the continuing use of limited companies...

I am working on a large 2 year program, payed by an external public sector body...

Hss any one heard this "work package" term yet? and does it hold any water?

Many thanks
                Not heard the term but it could involve moving the deliverable to be fixed price. Be very careful if it does - the scope and assumptions/dependencies need to be tight and the critical success factors measurable and not unreasonable.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Not heard the term but it could involve moving the deliverable to be fixed price. Be very careful if it does - the scope and assumptions/dependencies need to be tight and the critical success factors measurable and not unreasonable.
                  It could also be (as it was in my last public sector client) here is a pile of unspecified work to give to their development team...

As with all these things the devil is in the detail and you don't have the detail yet....

Comment

It could also be (as it was in my last public sector client) here is a pile of unspecified work to give to their development team...

As with all these things the devil is in the detail and you don't have the detail yet....
                    Never said I did and didn't claim to know what it is.

More questions for newtothegame to raise with client/agent, especially how this new way of working ties in with the assessment tool (this work package idea could be anything from a vain attempt to circumvent it to someone having figured out a way round it).

Tread carefully for now it the only consistent message. If you're seriously looking at taking new PS work on, try and change departments and get a massive re-write of the contract done is the only ideas that I'd suggest - even then, bracing for IR35 impact for your new contract is a given.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Never said I did and didn't claim to know what it is.

More questions for newtothegame to raise with client/agent, especially how this new way of working ties in with the assessment tool (this work package idea could be anything from a vain attempt to circumvent it to someone having figured out a way round it).

Tread carefully for now it the only consistent message. If you're seriously looking at taking new PS work on, try and change departments and get a massive re-write of the contract done is the only ideas that I'd suggest - even then, bracing for IR35 impact for your new contract is a given.
                      I knew you didn't say that just wanted to make clear I was commenting on the same topic.

Changing agent would be my biggest aim - for I suspect it will be the agency reporting regulations that they will look at and where people will be caught... See http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...ml#post2360160

Comment

Working...
                      X